[MR Members] Help Me This Router Is Driving Me Crazy

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by absolutmp5, Mar 1, 2007.

1. absolutmp5 macrumors regular

I currently have optimum online which works great. I had hooked up a linksys wireless router to the modem and it worked perfectly. a year later i got a xbox 360 and i wanted to play online. I had to then move the cable modem as well as the wireless router to another location on the same floor. For a time i got the same great reception i did before and the same speed. But something sinister was happening. My speed dropped horribly as well as my reception strength. I did everything. I reset the modem and router but no luck. Eventually i bought a new wireless router, and it was perfect again. but no longer than two months the same problem manifested itself again. WTF is going here!

The house i lived in is new, i also have a small bit of info on it. The cable strength isn't equally as strong as it is in other parts of the house. The cable guy used his tools to determine signal strength and find this info out. Is it possible the location change is what is doing this? Remember i was getting the same great speed like i did before at the begining of the change of location. help me!

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

How stable is your power supply? It sounds like maybe you're getting surges that are frying your router. That's really the only reason I can think of why its quality should deteriorate over time.

3. johnmartin78 macrumors regular

johnmartin78

I've had similar problems with Lynksys routers.While playing games I would notice my R dropping to 0 for a few minutes at a time,then surging and dropping again.Over and Over.I went through 3 in about 6 months.I tried each time to fix the problem but couldn't.I finally switched to a D-link and haven't had another problem.