Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
~Shard~ said:
Good one - I sometimes bring two. They are great for packing breakable/fragile items in as well, whether it be your shaver, sunglasses, etc. :cool:

If you're packing your water bottle into your bag and don't need water, pack your sunglasses and anything else that's fragile inside your water bottle. I have a Nalgene bottle (the one with the wide opening rather than the skinny opening) and I pack my sunglasses inside along with a pair of socks to stop them from rattling. ;)

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
Travel Tip: Toilet Paper and cleanliness

If traveling to Asia, don't forget to pack your own toilet paper. Some bathrooms don't have toilet paper or the natives that man the bathrooms will sometimes expect compensation if you accept toilet paper from them (at least in India).

Also, hand sanitizer and/or towelettes are invaluable when you're in a place where you can't wash your hands.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
General - packing

killuminati said:
Yes, a towel is good for that but a towel, is also about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have...

Yes, but Earth is Mostly Harmless, so it can be superflous.

And a bit more seriously, "all" hotels and B&B's I've ever stayed in have provided towel service ... the only time that I'll carry my own was when I want a real "Beach Towel" for at a beach, or when hiking/camping on the Inca trail in Peru (then wanted a light, super-quick dryer).

If I need padding to protect something, I'll first "double-bag" it in ziplocks (in case it breaks/spills) and then wrap (usually dirty) clothing around it. For my checked baggage scuba diving gear, I'll swaddle my regulators with my diveboat mesh bag, diveskin, and wetsuit to protect them.

-hh

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
General - Air Travel

If you are travelling internationally, it may be easier to try and find a local travel agent that speaks your language and book domestic travel through them. It can often be easier to get refunds and they will often have information that will correct what you believed to be correct.

For example: Recent trip to India. Rather than book our in-India flights through the airline, we used a travel agent. Because they were in India, they managed to find cheaper fares than comperable TAs in the US could find. Additionally, when I found a discount airline that did not work through TAs and only did direct sales, I called the TA and mentioned it. They credited my account and directed me to the proper channels to get the cheaper ticket. On my last flight, they found a more convenient time had two seats open up, so they called me and asked if I would like to change flights. They dealt with the airlines, making my trip much more seamless.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
General - Laundry

To help keep the limited clothes you bring from from spots, get something like the Tide-To-Go Pen. So if you do get a spot, yu can get it out without having to wash the whole garment.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Re: General - Laundry

Chip NoVaMac said:
To help keep the limited clothes you bring from from spots, get something like the Tide-To-Go Pen. So if you do get a spot, yu can get it out without having to wash the whole garment.

And, the obvious addition to this, bring soap for hand-washing. (No, not for washing your hands, but for washing your clothes using your hands! :p ;)) It's basically detergent in soap form, and comes in very handy.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
General - Air Travel

Never wear contact lenses on a long flight. They don't work well for sleeping, and they will just dry out your eyes due to the circulated stale air in the plane.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
floriflee said:
If traveling to Asia, don't forget to pack your own toilet paper.
a very good tip, which has saved me on a number of occasions.

several months before a trip, instead of using the whole roll, i'll use the first 3/4 or so and set aside the last bit. these squash down quite nicely and several can be packed, which is especially handy if you're traveling with mates who aren't as clever as you.

and it's easier to put one smaller roll in your daypack than a fresh roll.

Applespider

macrumors G4
zimv20 said:
and it's easier to put one smaller roll in your daypack than a fresh roll.

On a similar note - and not just good for travelling but also street events/concerts etc - carry a 'travel' pack of wet wipes with you. Always means you can wash your hands in the event that you have to use a Portaloo, there's no soap or no towels.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
packing :: carry-on bag / day pack

i like my mountainsmith tour pack.

61815.jpg

having a small carry-on forces me to pack light, plus this particular pack is very easy to sling over your shoulder even when you're carrying your main pack (for those lengthy trudges through heathrow to the trains).

it's got two outside mesh pockets which can hold large water bottles. it also has a hideable waist strap for convenience while hiking.

and it's tough as hell. i got mine in '97 and, despite it being well-traveled, looks almost new.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
packing :: carry-on contents

- travel docs
- sunglasses
- ear plugs
- reading material
- noise-cancelling headphones (for both in-flight entertainment and just blocking out plane noise)
- gum!

i also pack this, which is very handy if your checked luggage is lost:

- change of underwear and socks
- small stuff sack w/ toiletries
- small stuff sack w/ prescriptions and OTC drugs

basically, if i arrive to find my checked backpack lost, i can head to my local destination and wait for the airline to deliver it there.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
zimv20 said:
- ear plugs
- noise-cancelling headphones (for both in-flight entertainment and just blocking out plane noise)

Great tips, I always travel with these as well. Trust me, ear plugs are a life saver when you need to sleep on a 17-hour flight from Vancouver to Singapore and there's a crying baby on board. And that's just one example. :cool:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Since opening an office in Denver a month or so ago, I have flown there twice and again next week. Since my office is only 2 miles from my hotel, I have started to leave toiletries and some clothes in my office. Allows me to go for a week without having to check luggage.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
RE: packing - carry-on's (Noise Cancellation Headphones)

zimv20 said:
- ear plugs

Two suggestions on these two:

1) Use them both at the same time!

Sure, you'll have to turn up your iPod's volume a little, but stacking them together will give you more total noise isolation from the airplane...another 20dB or so, which is significant.

2) Don't spend a whopping $300 for the Bose noice-cancellation headphones.

Consider the "Plane Quiet NC6" headphones - - they performed very well at a fraction of the price. You can follow the above website's instructions to get them for $50

FYI, I've found these same headphones in "The Sharper Image". As you can see right here, they've simply re-labelled the product. Yes, Sharper wants a few more bucks for them ($70), so you're probably wondering why I'm mentioning this. Well, turn to your Discover credit card and look up their Discover Card's "Cashback Bonus Award" program and you'll find that Sharper is a partner that gives you "Double Reward". So with a little bit of planning, you can pick up this $70 item for $35 or thereabouts...

...BUT there is a catch: Sharper's package doesn't include converter plug to use the headsets through the standard airline seat sound system jack, so decide if that's okay before ordering.

From a hardware standpoint, these headphones take a single AAA battery, and my only complaint is that the on/off switch is a bit too sensitive, which makes it easy for it to turn itself on when they're in their (included) storage bag. My remedy has been to remove the battery from the device and keep it along with a spare in the bag (I use a AAA battery pack to hold them both). In the event that you forget to do this, the good news is that you only lose the noise-cancellation capability...they'll still work as normal headphones (Note: this isn't the case with the $300 Bose headphones! For them, dead battery = no sound at all).

-hh

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
Packing - Clothes

Not sure if this has already been mentioned since the thread has gotten long, but just in case...

If you're having trouble getting everything to fit in your bag roll your clothes up as this will help you save space.

I also carry an extra plastic bag (i.e., grocery or some plastic shopping bag) with me to use to separate out my dirty clothes. I keep one in one of the small pockets of all my travel bags so I don't have to remember to pack one.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
General - Laundry

Buy some Downy Wrinkle Release and pour some of it into a small travel spray bottle. Take it with you to use in the event you either don't have an iron to get wrinkles out of your clothes or you are going to be too lazy to iron. While it won't give you a "pressed" look, it definitely makes your clothes more presentable.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Packing - clothes

When packing for a trip where the weather will be colder at your destination, I would say most of us pack a jacket. Check the pockets before you pack it. It is the same thing that you would do before you want something. That way you avoid taking items that may have intended to leave.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
General - Hygiene

If going to a foreign (third world) country cut your toe and finger nails short to prevent getting bugs under them. Also, I bought an Eddie Bauer travel kit a few years back that includes a nail file, clippers, trimming scissors, and tweezers in a compact metal case. It's a great thing to take when you're going on longer trips where you may need to perform such grooming.

It's also come in very handy when needing to get a broken off key out of a lock. :D

Also, don't forget the bug spray or creme when travelling to mosquito-infested areas. I prefer the creme (such as Odomos) because you can get a more even coat, it comes in a smaller container, and there is less likelihood of leaking.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
General - Money

When travelling abroad (domestic, but especially international where you will look like a tourist), take two wallets. Buy a travel wallet that will attach to your belt loop that you can then hide on the inside of your pants or shorts. Store whatever money you don't intend to use in it. Use the regular wallet for the rest. This way you can keep your money (and passports and other documents) on you at all times when you're out. If you have the unfortunate event of getting robbed (heaven forbid!) you don't lose all your money when the tell you to empty your pockets and hand over your wallet.

Edit: Moneybelt! That was the term for the travel wallet that I couldn't think of! :) Thanks Clix Pix!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
floriflee said:
When travelling abroad (domestic, but especially international where you will look like a tourist), take two wallets. Buy a travel wallet that will attach to your belt loop that you can then hide on the inside of your pants or shorts. Store whatever money you don't intend to use in it. Use the regular wallet for the rest. This way you can keep your money (and passports and other documents) on you at all times when you're out. If you have the unfortunate event of getting robbed (heaven forbid!) you don't lose all your money when the tell you to empty your pockets and hand over your wallet.

When I went to SF, because I was traveling alone and would be in a large city that was new to me, I bought and used a moneybelt that tucked very neatly under my pants. Each day before setting out I made sure that I had sufficient cash in my actual wallet for making small purchases or paying for snacks or lunches, stashing the rest in the moneybelt. I kept minimum amounts of cash and one credit card in my wallet, using the money belt for everything else. That worked out very well and gave me peace of mind.

Also, prior to leaving home, I cleaned out my wallet and left a lot of things here that I knew I wouldn't need while traveling: my cards for local grocery stores, my library card, etc. That can make it easier to quickly take inventory of all of your cards and ID at a glance.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
packing :: flying :: bottles

i'll often bring plastic bottles with me, containing substances such as shampoo or handcream. when packing them for flight, i'll squeeze out most of the air first, so that the pressure differential at altitude doesn't make them burst. i'll also enclose them in a sturdy ziplock bag in case they do.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
packing :: sanity check against overpacking

because i live in a city with public transportation, i always make my first leg of my journey the bus and train that takes me to o'hare. doing so ensures i pack light enough for the inevitable busses and trains i'll be taking wherever i'm going.

i'll also see if the people i'm visiting need anything from the states (like the time my friend in hiroshima wanted kraft macaroni and cheese; i brought her 8 boxes, packed into my main pack). bringing such items means i can buy that much stuff while there and not worry about bringing back a fuller pack.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Any recommendations of websites?

Any decent websites to check for hotel/air fare/ etc.? Or rather, websites you all have found to be helpful and with reasonable prices.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
General - Travel Sites

devilot said:
Any decent websites to check for hotel/air fare/ etc.? Or rather, websites you all have found to be helpful and with reasonable prices.

I like TripAdvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com) for reviews (and occasional savings) on places to stay. That is how I found the Grant Hotel in SF, and the Days Inn - Lincoln Park in Chicago.

My trip later this month, will tell about the two B&B's that I will be at in Iceland and London....

For last minute travel, I like what I have seen from Site 59 (http://www.site59.com). Decent air/hotel packages on some test dates that I have tried over the last couple weeks.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
re:packing :: sanity check against overpacking

zimv20 said:
because i live in a city with public transportation, i always make my first leg of my journey the bus and train that takes me to o'hare. doing so ensures i pack light enough for the inevitable busses and trains i'll be taking wherever i'm going.

i'll also see if the people i'm visiting need anything from the states (like the time my friend in hiroshima wanted kraft macaroni and cheese; i brought her 8 boxes, packed into my main pack). bringing such items means i can buy that much stuff while there and not worry about bringing back a fuller pack.

A couple of general travel guides have recommended taking a walk around for an afternoon with the luggage you plan on traveling with as a test.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.