MS always playing catch-up

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Dane D., Sep 20, 2005.

1. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

I just love it when so-called computer reporters write about MS. These clowns are so blind with jeaously toward Apple that it makes for great fodder when conversing with the PC folks. I often wonder when they will get it, ones' computer experience should be like making love; not one of curses, screams and moans. MS and its backers have no idea what it is they are doing when it comes to OS and software. I for one love it that Apple is always mentioned, because we our the standard by which all others are judged. Hahaha, The above quote IMO says it all about PCs.

2. belvdr macrumors 601

Each product has its place. Apple is not perfect for all scenarios, nor is Linux or Windows. Apple, Linux, and Microsoft zealots declare their product is the best for everything, and it is just not true.

Have a link to the original article?

3. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Well, I really wouldn't want to have the experience QUITE like making love... an enojyable experience using the computer: yes. An "OMFG MORE Tabs in Safari, baby", no.

As for MS playing catch-up. Yes, that is true. XP hasn't had an overhall since 2001 (except for SP2, of course, which was nothing more than security and a couple new "features") In 2001, Mac OS X wasn't much to speak of either, though with a smaller user base it is easier to implement more frequent major OS overhalls.

As for zealots... they bug me. Mac and MS zealots in particular bug me. When I try to convince people to switch, its not with a religious fanatasism or when talking with MS people their traditional comeback to "why dont you use a Mac?" is "Macs suck".

Y do Macs suck? "They do" is the usual response. Well, have you used one? "Nope, don't want to either, because they suck"

Argh. People.

4. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

Agreed.

Besides, I personally hope that MS catches up to apple. Then apple will have to step up to the plate again and set a new standard, to justify the price premium on worse hardware - either that, or hardware prices will fall and everyone's happy.

5. Dane D. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is here the link

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/AViuO5r1twGnhR/Windows-Vista-The-Final-Countdown-Begins.xhtml

Maybe the reference to "computer experience should be like making love" is a little strong but compared to PC users, it seems to fit. The article is complete BS, good for a laugh. As for the people here that seem to bash Apple

I ask you this: Do you replace hardware often? Does that premium seem like a premium when your computer works? Are you producing your work without crashes? Are you worried about all the viruses and other 'wares? I didn't say Apple is the best at everything. It just sets the standard by which OSs should strive for. For me using an Apple is fun, rewarding and I don't have to worry about equipment failure.

6. belvdr macrumors 601

Actually I have relatively few x86 hardware failures; of course that has nothing to do with the OS. :) As for worrying about equipment failure, I worry about that regardless of the manufacturer. Hardware is hardware and it will fail eventually. You should worry more about Apple hardware failing as you have fewer avenues for getting it fixed versus larger x86 firms. But I guess it does all boil down to initial quality, and Apple has a tough time there as well, considering the iBook logic board and iMac G5 midplane problems.

I'm not sure OS X sets any real goals for other operating systems. For example, 10.4 didn't deliver any real meat considering the cost. It added the dashboard, of which I find is totally useless. Things like Finder being able to write to an FTP server would have been a nice addition, and they are behind others in that aspect (including Windows). For some reason, I think Apple is running out of ideas to put into OS X, besides eye candy. In the same token, Windows and Linux aren't making any great strides either, so maybe the whole OS market is stale.