MS are launching a new image format... WMP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jive, May 25, 2006.

1. jive macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2006

So erm... Why?

We already have supported files types for this sort of thing - TIFF/RAW/PNG etc. And why do we need smaller file sizes? You can download massive images in seconds we all have massive HDDs...
  2. Timepass macrumors 65816

Jan 4, 2005
    it more for compresion ratios. most images used on the web are jpeg or gif because of there smaller size and less bandwith requirements.

That being said I dont see it taking off and replacing jpeg. Just like the fact that mp3 is still the strongest music format out there in what is used. WMA and AAC and yes even real format are all vastely better in how they shoud at the same compression ratio ill. a 128 bit mp3 is as good as 64bit in the other formates so it takes up 2 times the size for the same lv of quility. But are any of them really taking away mp3 being king of the hill, no on the simple fact that mp3 just works so well and everything can play it.

I see the same thing happening to this new formate. Even though it is vastely better than jpeg it not going to be used.
  3. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    it's going to be lossy crappy and have horrible DRM.
  4. heaven macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    Oh no, please don't! I hate all the windows formats :mad:
  5. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Like WMA/WMV, you will get worse quality with more compression. There's a better alternative out already...It's called PNG. People should use it.
  6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    as soon as this format is part of windows and millions of people are using it it will be a quasi standard. most people don't even know what these file formats are. they just click it. all windows programs will automatically save in this format. wait till you want to do a powerpoint presentation and it doesn't show your pictures because they are not using this new format.

and soon every webbrowser and every image program will need to support this format.

on the more professional level i think it's not successful. because everybody goes for raw anyway.
  7. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    PNG? :confused:

PNG is a great replacement for GIF, but not JPEG, at least in terms of compression ratio.

Whetever happened to JPEG2000?

EDIT: Personally, I'd like to see a lot more of SVG. Maybe it'll be incorporated in to Leopard and its resolution independence...

8. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

Aug 2, 2005
    On an island in Maine
    Oh god, there goes Microsoft using their monoply to ruin things for the rest of the computing world. Why can't they ever just take one computer convention and try to not change it to their own twisted ideas? Any Web designer can feel the pain of having to code pages to IE's terrible interpretation of how pages should be coded. Or how about the terrible WMV format, which Microsoft won't even make a Mac app for any more. Now we will have proprietary image files to deal with too!
  9. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    Golly gee, we've already got JPEG2000 and PNG, yet MS wants to create a new image format to do the same thing. Were they to, say, build decent support fo those two formats into their browser (HELLO? How long as it been and you guys sitll can't handle PNGs properly?), then they'd take off and would be open standards.

But no, MS has gotta remake the wheel so they can control the keys. I so desperately hope to see this initiative fail, though with IE being what it is, I'm very afraid. I almost hope Firefox and Safari DON'T support it, just so any website that starts using it can watch 25-30% of their viewers go bye-bye. That's assuming MS doesn't try to lock it down in another attempt to Microsoft-ize the web so they hold the keys to some important technology.

They've already taken several failed shots at it, and one moderately successful shot with ActiveX, although thankfully (and I'm sure due in no small part to Firefox's increasing popularity) Flash is starting to push it out and I'm seeing less and less ActiveX-require sites on the web.