MS Critical Windows Update Removes swastika Symbol

Discussion in 'Community' started by SiliconAddict, Mar 29, 2004.

1. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

I mulled over throwing this into the Political forum but I think this is a more of a community discussion thing.

Well I ran a Windows Update on my puter this evening like I do at the end of every month and it found one update. Not being the total lackey I always research the update to find out if its blow up anyone computer so I can determine if I should hold off for a while. In this case I was surprised at what I had found on the one single critical update:

The tech note on the update said:
    I found it interesting that MS didn’t go into detail as to WHAT symbol in the font it was replacing. To find that out I had to do a little searching on the net. Further net research determined that this update removes a swastika Symbol from the font. Don't know how it got in there. Maybe someone said screw it we are going to include it along with everything else. *shrugs* The reason is beyond the scope of this post. I'm just wondering what you guys think. Should they have done this or not. Was this being overly PC or not.
    I understand what this symbol represents, actually it was/is a religious symbol that the Nazi party distorted, so if what it represents it inherently negative is there a legit reason, other then maybe a research paper, to include it in a system font?

Thoughts other then MS bashing?? :p

2. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Well it was used hundreds of years ago by Japanese. I see no problem with it being there. No I don't support the Nazi Regiem, the symbol has many meanings and it should be there for those to explore.

3. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

I think its pretty unnecessary. Most people associate the symbol as the swastika for the Nazi's, when it was actually used in the Buddha religion hundreds of years ago.

Heck, i didn't even know it was there until it was brought to my attention. This is the same as saying "don't take daddy's gun in the dresser in the master bedroom", when saying NOTHING would have been more effective. Ah well.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

this issue is at least 6 months old. the media carried it quite a bit at the end of last year... it's not really a big deal. sure, it was kind of an oversight to leave it in, but i don't think this exactly ties MS to neonaziism ;)

and while true that the swastika has been a symbol in many other cultures, with positive annotations, i don't think we'll ever recover the use of it as anything but nazi related...

paul

5. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

It is (mostly) illegal to display the Swastika in Germany, that might be the reason they took it out. Games with a Nazi topic that are sold in Germany have the Swastika replaced with some other symbol.

6. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i despise the nazi and what they represent more than anything, but i would disagree with the removal of any symbol from anywhere.
    people should be educated and not kept in ignorance.
    Apart from the fact that what they remove apparently was the buddhist symbol and not the nazi one (opposite directions), this is a slippery road that leads nowhere nice.
    Looks like the star of david is gone too, which doesn't make too much sense (unless you're palestinian, of course), but what about crosses, crescents (or "+" and "C") and every other religious and/or political symbol? will they introduces automatic filters in MS Word that will recognize every undesirable word typed, substitute it with "naughty-naughty, don't write that!" and report it to the tought police?
    what about the symbol that best of all represents the source of all evil, our beloved "$" sign?

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

8. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

just about every update from M$ is "critical" these days... :rolleyes: :D :p

9. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

This has to be the stupidest CRITICAL update ever!

Here's the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article

10. Dr. Zauis macrumors member

I remember getting the same update on my computer a couple months ago only it was for a different font.
    I was going to post it except I was too lazy.

11. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I know that THAT symbol, the swastika is used in several religions (heck I just say one on a hand out my Soc teacher gave me describing the importance of some religion I've never heard of [NOT Buddhism] and it was like the 4 importand things... respect, truth... something).

Microsoft -- Unless someone is distributing a worm or virus that uses that graphic I think thats the worst update ever.

12. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

type jew in using the symbol font in ms word...yousee what you get

13. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

I don't get it -- Using "Symbol", I'm getting three greek letters, of course. So...?

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Are you using a German keyboard? That might have something to do with it.

Edit: Never mind, I get Greek characters too.

15. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

yea, im jus messin with you guys.

16. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

Wasn't that meant to be "Bill Gates is the Antichrist", only you have to type it in backwards :rolleyes:

To paraphrase someones sig: Never seek for conspiracy when stupidity will suffice.