MS cuts 360 forecast

Discussion in 'Games' started by Coded-Dude, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

source

Well, they certainly pushed as many out the door as possible to make it seem they really did hit their 10 million mark, but flooding the market inevitably led to this move(obviously). Also, they need to get on the arse of their manufacturers and make more "stable" hardware. While this is not all that surprising, it is interesting to say the least.

2. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Oddly enough the source doesn't mention that Microsoft also saw a 76% increase in revenue over the same period last year (for it's Entertainment Devices division).

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yup, MS tried to meet their ten million figure and flooded the market. Now every store has dozens of XBox 360s, so they're only going to ship 2 million in the next 6 months because stores are already full.

4. BengalDuck macrumors regular

All I have to say is screw MS...

...the 360 that came with my XBOX premium was broken from when i opened it (right trigger stuck)... so I paid for my shipping myself to their factory, yet they claim they have no record of receiving it and wouldn't send me another one.

You would think that after paying $400 for my system, another $150ish for my three games, two additional battery packs, two other wireless controllers, and a rechargable plug thing... after all that they would give the benefit of the doubt to the customer. I understand that they don't want to get screwed out of giving away free stuff but it sucks from my point of view because now i'm out a $50 controller that I sent away to the abyss.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

6. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

That completely sucks!!! :( Have you had any follow ups? There has to be something you can do to recover your losses?

How did you ship it? You might be able to track if it ever reached their location.

And call your credit card company if you paid for it that way. Most cc companies will refund you the entire charge, if you can show that you were screwed. We've had to take this measure more than once with eBay purchases. Then the credit card company goes after the store to recover their funds.

<]=)

7. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I took no chances when I shipped mine back through the US Post Office. I paid a couple of dollars more for a delivery comfirmation receipt. For a little more you can even require a signature for the delivery.

Did you have any kind of tracking number?

8. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

to BengalDuck:

Now was it only the right trigger that stuck because if thats the case then why send the console back because there are no triggers on the console itself. :confused:

edit: why didn't you just return it to the store where you bought it?

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Good call...Hopefully MS will feel the heat from Nintendo/Sony and low xBox prices!

10. macbookprouser macrumors member

ive already bought and sold a 360. the pc is just so much better. i want a wii though. bowling rocks. and i wanna play the new zelda

11. islandman macrumors 6502

No matter how you look at it, Sony has a long way to go before they catch up.

12. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

ps3 was just released with not many, if any, killer games to be played. a little more time and perhaps mgs4 and ffxiii is all sony needs.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

WHAT ? They send a courier directly to pick it up (microsoft) so why did you do this. That's probably why they dont have a record, because no RMA number was ever issued for your console :eek:

What happens is you ring the microsoft support number, then they issue you a rma number and send UPS or another courier to deliver a package. You parcel up your 360 or whatever your returning in thte brown parcel and attach the sticker to the box, you then ring back the courier and they collect it.

All FREE of charge.

Also was it just the controller right trigger stuck if so you should have only sent the controller. Man you really did go about it in a very WRONG way.

I hope it gets sorted - but it's not really M$ fault that they cant find it unfortunetly.

You should have either returned to the store, or rang the proper support number. oh well best of luck anyway.

edit. re-reading your post ?
    so it was just the controller you sent back. ? Now I really am confused ? No wonder M$ are

14. pcypert macrumors 6502

I know I'm saying it a bunch, but they can ship more of the 360's here to Thailand as they're not staying on the shelves here unlike the Wii's and PS3's...it's the exact opposite here. People are bringing back Wii's.

Paul

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Really? Is that what you personally have seen, or is it a nation wide thing(as in there are reports about it on the news ect)

16. BengalDuck macrumors regular

I guess I made a typo. I'm out the broken controller, not the entire console. And yes, I did not pay for a tracking number but next time I will.

Hell, yesterday and today my xbox is losing the signal of my lone wireless controller. every two minutes it's saying "please reconnect your controller" so who the f knows what's wrong, whether it's the console or the controller itself. all i know is that i'm probably not going to send anything off again.

17. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

My one week old 360 is at Microsoft for repairs. It is not surprising to hear repairs have eaten into their profits. If they had taken a just a little more time to build a better console they wouldn't lose so much money to repairs.

I guess that is Microsoft for you. Crank out a product you know has problems and worry about repairs and patches later.

God, I am glad I switched to an Apple. It would be very interesting to see Apple, Autodesk or Adobe enter the game console war. I know that would never happen because of the capital outlay and low profit margins on each console, but it would be interesting to see.

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Apple I could see doing it..they shouldn't yet, but they could.

Adobe would/should never do it...they make software not hardware

Who is Autodeck...they aren't on Wikipedia, and google search comes up with car stuff

19. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I believe the OP meant "Autodesk" they make Maya, Autocad and other CAD/3D based imaging applications. (Maya was bought by autodesk)

Ed

20. pcypert macrumors 6502

Yeah, it's something I've seen personally. Not anything that's made the local news. Couple reasons. First, no console is sold here as a zone or anything...meaning all systems are imported from Japan, US, and Hong Kong (most from Hong Kong). Second, everything is still a distant second to PS2 as that's the easiest for the folks to copy and the copy market here rules the legit one for gaming by a long shot....hard to blame them when it's copies or way overpriced imports since companies won't bring things over.

The 360 is selling like crazy though. Once people see it and see the games for it they're all over it...especially since both the 360 and the Wii cost the same over here (14,000 THB)...when one can get Fifa for the 360 and not for the Wii it's a no brainer for most :) . There's one major outlet for games and gaming here and I hang out there a lot looking at games and helping folks figure stuff out. I've talked to the shop owners and they're not pushing the Wii so much as they're not making money on them and people are trying to bring them out as they're now bored with them....they've seen the 360 and want that instead now. Something like 10:1 ratio.

Paul