MS defector requests general help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by badpunchline, Jan 20, 2004.

1. badpunchline macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I am a student learning the craft of Audio engineering. I require a non-windows, high-performance machine that can run Video and Audio programs at the same time. The problem is, I dont know what avenue to take. First, my requirements are: @least 1Ghz processor, 80GB Hard drive, SuperDrive (or external equivalent) 256MB of good quality, speedy RAM (probably going to upgrade at crucial.com) a video card capable of allowing me to import and/or sync various video formats to Audio.

I have three main questions:

1. Whats the deal with the 1.8Ghz G5 not being sold on apple.com?
    2. Should I wait for this supposed hardware update?
    3. What are the pros/cons of buying a powerbook over a G5? Could the G5 be considered quasi-portable? Can it take some abuse?

Thanks for any input. Have a nice day!

-mark

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I know its rude, but I'm going to answer a question with a question, before getting to the point.

When do you need the machine by?
    How Much do you have to spend?

If you have some time, wait until the next update, hopefully before March.

The Single 1.8Ghz G5 is a pervious model. They went to the Dual after a lot of suggestions. Best bet would be to try to find some referbished (if you want a single 1.8).

The G5 is almost not worth the trouble to "lug" around, it is at least 15lbs plus you need all those cables.

Also, when you buy, enquire about student discounts, or even coporate discounts, they will save you a bundle.

TEG

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: MS defector requests general help!

1. The single is dead. The dual is much better.

2. Yes, absolutely. Waiting until the end of January shouldn't hurt that much, esp. if you're looking for better value.

3. The G5s stretch the limit of being considered remotely portable. They're quite heavy. While they can take abuse, I would probably want to find some bump-resistant material to protect them while in transit.

Whatever you do, make certain you have at least 1 GB of RAM, the more, the better.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Double that and we're talking :p

Video cards do not import, but if you have a digital camcorder, or a unit similar to this, you can import video that way.

5. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I think that describing yourself as a ms defector is rather negative (switcher is so yesterday although more positive). At least you didn't say ms traitor (then I'd be really worried).

Any ideas anyone?

Otherwise buy the most expensive/best you can afford but take into account things like more RAM (but don't buy at Apple)

6. badpunchline thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies

I guess MS defector is a little harsh, I am just excited to get myself an Apple to run all those killer apps. I think that I will go one of two ways. The 15" Powerbook SD (with a student loan) or the best G5 i can afford (keeping in mind RAM upgrade). The budget isn't really up to me. My parents are helping me out on this one. I am expectig something in the range of $1500- 2000 (plus a few hundred from my account). I wil wait it out for a couple of weeks. See what happens in the near future.

Thanks again,
    -mark

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    nice of your parents to help out. im thinking of getting a desktop hopefully, cross fingers.

8. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

At this point its probably best to wait and see what happens on the 24th of Jan and even possibly the 2nd of Feb - those are the current rumor dates for new releases.

And, you might look into refurbed machines as well.

Definitely buy your memory somewhere else than Apple, though :D

Good luck!

D

10. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

Something else to think about is expandablity. The G5 has alot of room to grow. I'm not sure about laptops.

As for the G5 being portable. You can remove the aluminum cover and carry it around. It's not too heavy. :) If you want to move it a few times a year (back and forth to school), that should be no problem. But moving a G5 system is a job when you figure in monitor, speakers, keyboard, beer hugger, and other estential accessories.

For video input, current DV Camcorders can be connected via Firewire and usually controlled via the the video software. If you need an analog converter, I recommend the Canopus ADVC-100.

Good Luck!