MS Excel slowdown?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eclipse525, May 15, 2005.

1. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

I rarely use Excel but the other day I need to do something in it and everytime I did something I would get the spinning ball. It seemed like everything I did, from saving to chaning the font took FOREVER. MS Word is also sluggish but not even close to what I'm experiencing with Excel. I wish I can use an alternate application BUT like everything, it's a Microsoft world and I am sharing these files with fellow Excel users.

Does anybody have an idea what is causing this problem? Any solutions?

~e

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

One thing to try (if you have not tried rebooting) is to shut every program down, wait half a minute, and then start them up again. Excel and Word in particular don't have a reputation for always playing as nice as they should with memory resources. It's possible you have "world leaks" (I think that's the right term), where memory is in a limbo land, and the OS thinks its allocated but no program is using it anymore. When this happens, it will definitely cause beachballing....

Some people have claimed unacceptably slow performance with grammar/and spelling inline checks on, but I have a G4/800, and have never seen this to be unacceptable, so I'm not so sure about that....

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Eclipse525,

Did you recently switch to Tiger? Because I have noticed the same slow performance in office now. Possibly, it's a compatibility issue with Tiger. I am curious to the cause as well.

By the way it's Office 2004 Student Edition on a G4 800 with 768 MB of RAM. Occurs when I only have Word/Excel open or multiple programs open. It makes no difference. Did reboot and repair permissions.

4. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

I did not switch to Tiger yet. I did however, repair permissions and then rebooted but I'm still getting the the same sluggish performance out of all of 2004 Office. I might just do a clean install over all, once i get around to installing Tiger.

On that note, any suggestions as far as software to back-up everything. I need this process to be as painless as possible.

Thanks!

~e

5. snø macrumors newbie

My wife's iBook G4 933 is having the same slowdown problem. She is on Tiger 10.4.1

Seems like a lot of people are having slow down issues :(

6. bellis1 macrumors 6502

Slow office

I found my culprit for my slow office at least in terms of the opening dialog coming up very slow. It appears it was smart folders. I just trashed the smart folders which were commonly in my documents folder and now it is fast to open the open dialog box