MS Excel, Word, Powerpoint and GarageBand missing

Discussion in 'OS X' started by appletime, Nov 23, 2007.

1. macrumors member

Aug 15, 2005

Something bizarre has happened... my GarageBand, MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint has gone missing from my computer. I can honestly swear that I did not remove or uninstall these applications. What's even odder is that Entourage is still installed and ready to be used?

Please can anyone help? I am very new to the Mac world and have only had my iMac for less than a month. Why have these applications disappeared and how can I retrieve them?

2. macrumors regular

Aug 19, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Are you sure they're completely gone, or just removed from your Dock/Desktop/etc?

Check your Applications folder for a Microsoft Office folder. If you don't find it, perhaps try a search.

If you still do not find them, well... Applications do not simply 'disappear' from a system. Somebody either moved or deleted them.
  3. macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Have you renamed, deleted or moved anything in your User folder -- like changed the username on the folder?
  4. thread starter macrumors member

Aug 15, 2005
    I've checked both my Applications folder and my Microsoft Office 2004 folder and they are not there. Only Entourage is left. I have also done a search using Spotlight but to no avail.

No, not at all which is what makes this strange. How can 4 applications disappear without us having to delete them?
  5. macrumors member

Nov 10, 2007
    Gettysburg, PA
    Did you do any updates to Office before this happened? I don't know about GarageBand, but I once did a MS Auto Update with iTunes running, and it completely erased MS Word from my system. I had to uninstall & reinstall office to get everything back to where it was supposed to be.
  6. thread starter macrumors member

Aug 15, 2005
    Nope, not that I'm aware of. :( I haven't done any updates to it.
  7. macrumors newbie

Nov 22, 2007
    My Garageband app has also gone missing. I haven't really used it before, but I know it was there when I got my iMac a couple weeks ago (I opened and checked out some of the software).

But now the dock icon just shows a big ? when I try to open it. A search for "garage" only shows the (empty) folder named "Garageband" under Music. The app itself appears to be gone. I have no idea what happened.

Any ideas?
  8. macrumors newbie

Jul 18, 2008
    Same here

Microsoft performed an update several weeks ago, and Excel and Powerpoint have vanished. I guess I'll try reinstalling Office. Grr.