Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bertagert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003
Looks like there will be no more Internet Explorer for Mac. In this Cnet.com article, it states that Microsoft won't be producing anymore stand alone versions of Internet Explorer. Looks like they'll be imbedding it into the OS.

I guess Apple caught wind of this and thats why they made Safari.

Microsoft is phasing out standalone versions of its Internet Explorer Web browser, according to statements attributed to IE program manager Brian Countryman in an interview posted on the software giant's Web site.

"As part of the OS (operating system), IE will continue to evolve, but there will be no future standalone installations. IE6 SP1 is the final standalone installation," Countryman said in the the May 7 interview.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
now that i use safari 80 % of the time, and 20 % of the time i use camino...

i couldn't care less, if m$ develops ie as a standalone product or not.

but according to the article, ie6 sp1 would be the last standalone ie. ie6! that is the pc version. and not the mac version.

but look at it this way, as far as i know, the mac has version 5.2(?). does this mean, the mac would still see ie6 for mac? ;) :D

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
I think we will see IE6. The rendering engine is done so they have worked on it and it is imbeded in MSN for OSX. They will release it, just no one knows when. They still make money off of it on the mac. That artical was just about the PC version. They can't imbed it in Mac OS X.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Re: MS Internet Explorer no more!

Originally posted by bertagert

I guess Apple caught wind of this and thats why they made Safari.

More like Apple saw that Mac users were trying new browsers and threw in their hat. M$ may have been thinking about this for a while, but Apple just made it easier to do.

I saw speculation that this is a direct result of M$ DRM. Makes sense.

Dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.