MS Internet Explorer no more!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bertagert, Jun 1, 2003.

1. bertagert macrumors 6502

Jan 13, 2003
    Looks like there will be no more Internet Explorer for Mac. In this article, it states that Microsoft won't be producing anymore stand alone versions of Internet Explorer. Looks like they'll be imbedding it into the OS.

I guess Apple caught wind of this and thats why they made Safari.

2. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

May 7, 2002
    2 Much Infinite Loops
    now that i use safari 80 % of the time, and 20 % of the time i use camino...

i couldn't care less, if m$ develops ie as a standalone product or not.

but according to the article, ie6 sp1 would be the last standalone ie. ie6! that is the pc version. and not the mac version.

but look at it this way, as far as i know, the mac has version 5.2(?). does this mean, the mac would still see ie6 for mac? ;) :D
  3. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2002
    Charleston, SC
    I think we will see IE6. The rendering engine is done so they have worked on it and it is imbeded in MSN for OSX. They will release it, just no one knows when. They still make money off of it on the mac. That artical was just about the PC version. They can't imbed it in Mac OS X.
  4. alset macrumors 65816

Nov 9, 2002
    East Bay, CA
    Re: MS Internet Explorer no more!

More like Apple saw that Mac users were trying new browsers and threw in their hat. M$ may have been thinking about this for a while, but Apple just made it easier to do.

I saw speculation that this is a direct result of M$ DRM. Makes sense.