MS longhorn

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mac15, Jul 12, 2002.

1. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I didn't watch the movie, but the pic doesn't look all that similar to OS X, unless OS X has a monopoly on transparency. The thing that strikes me about the pic is that it will be 2004 until Microsoft has accomplished what Apple (and Unsanity w/ WindowShadeX) did in early 2001 in regards to that transparency.

3. mac15 thread starter macrumors 68040

mac15

the movie is pathetic, its mac osx with a crap interface all over
    but its low quality, so you can't see how crap it really is

4. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

If you can't see how crap it really is, how do you know it's crap? :)

5. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i saw this screenie on a site thats an affiliate with the site that has the screenie and video and the screenie is a fake btw, the video was actually originally on a site that im the mac section moderator for, cuz one of the members got the longhorn video from a friend or something like that 2 months back :S

6. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Longhorn...

...does some good things (all graphics through OpenGL, database file system, etc... and some very very very bad ones (palladium). If it came out now, I think that technically it would be superior to OSX, but it has Palladium so I would never use it. 4 years from now...I think OSX will still be ahead (or maybe OS 12 by then :)).

7. job macrumors 68040

job

It's Windows. :rolleyes:

What more do you need to know. :D :D

8. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

Windows will always be pathetic....

Although this video is probably fake, should the interface be anything like what Longhorn will look like, then yes, it is crap.

I tried out heXPee a couple a days ago, and it's awful. Why? Because the interface gets in your way all the time. Every second or so a f***ing reminder of some sort pops up and ask you if you want to do this or that. It's impossible to navigate the HD with ease. Every thing has to be done the M$ way. Longhorn seems to keep up the tradition...

I want my comp to work the way I want, not the way M$ dictates. Therefore I use OS X, and will never use heXPee or Longhorn for that matter...

9. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

No matter what Microsoft does Windows will always look grey and box-like.

10. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

It doesn't, apple do!

United States Patent 5,379,129 to be exact.

No one should be allowed to use alpha channels in a GUI without apple's say so.

Do a search for it and you might find the original document online somewhere, I found it a few years ago, this discussion thread has most of it quoted but I can't find the original page with it on.

It would be funny if the only reason windows is ugly, jagged and boxy in general was because apple own the patent on the very method they'd have to use if they wanted it to be smooth or use transparency :)

Still, I bet it wouldn't stand up, It seems microsoft can steal anything they want, alter it slightly and pass it off as their own work using the "freedom to innovate" BS to make any of their unoriginal "me too" applications and interfaces appear to the uninformed, idiotic public to be their own invention.

not that I've got anything against microsoft :) honest!

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Re: Longhorn...

at the risk of sounding dumb.... what's "palladium"?

thanks

12. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

I just saw the video.

It's so B.S. I can't believe they're trying to do the "genie effect" and they open up those three folders in succession then throw away the last one, why does the other two get thrown away also....what if I just wanted to throw away just one?

That "dock" that's on the left...will it always be on? Sheez, if your gonna imitate OS X, please try harder!

13. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Do apple really need microsoft ?

I mean if they can stop companies releasing skins that mimic the mac os X look, why not stop microsoft from stealing the transparency and animation, we've had transparent dragging in the Mac OS for so long now I can't remember when I didn't see it. There's no way they can legally release that, it's such a blatent rip off it's untrue.

I'm refering to the video

There also seems to be some features there with no use, why open 3 versions of the same window with varying amounts of transparency ? Is that supposed to be microsoft's "different enough to be our idea, not another apple rip off" attempt. It's sad, I know of only 1 windows user who isn't sticking windows 2000, XP's terrible as it is, if they rip off OS X's feel and add it to XP while maintaining it's awful interface, it's still not going to make window any more appealing to people who know they've got a choice.

It's the fact they're ripping off OS X bit by bit that's bugging me, plus, can you imagine how fast XP will render transparency etc... even on a mediocre PC, with or without they're "Quartz Extreme" rip off ?

Judging by how fast windows is compared to even Mac OS 9, XP will make OS X look slow as hell in comparison if jaguar isn't as fast as we expect it to be. Apple can't let this happen.

I'm not saying this so zeleots can shout me down, fact, viewing and manipulating a large folder of files is slow on a mac, on a PC it's almost instant, fact, that and the recoverable trashcan are NEVER going to be enough for me to choose a PC over a mac or even think of a PC as anything worth investing anything in.