MS loses $521 million case

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Gus, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Gus
    macrumors 65816

Gus

2. macrumors 68000

agreenster

Serves the bastards right. Im so sick of MS swiping everyone's good ideas without giving them credit. In my opinion, swipe away, but you MUST give credit by buying the technology.

3. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Every once in a while I try giving them benefit of the doubt, and then something like this pops up. I swear, I cannot even begin to imagine how much more they have gotten away with. This is one of the many reasons I was more than happy to make the switch to Apple and never regretted it from day one.

4. macrumors 6502a

crenz

*sigh* Another case of questionable software patents enforced...

5. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

What's pissing me off even more is that the jury only gave Eolas half of what they asked for...

irmongoose

6. Gus
    thread starter macrumors 65816

Gus

I'm not disputing your statement, but what , in your opinion, exactly is "questionable" about the patents thhat were enforced?

Regards,
    Gus

7. macrumors 603

Stella

Microsoft have nothing to worry about.

When they appeal, the courts will overturn this decision and MS will get off scott-free and be free to continue to rip off another company.

It always happens...

8. macrumors 6502

Ashcroft will take a break from busting pot-using cancer patients long enough to squash this.

9. macrumors P6

wdlove

Maybe this time Microsoft will have to pay. At some point their good fortune is bound to change.

10. macrumors 68000

e-coli

Like Apple ripping off Watson and not paying for it?

11. macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-e-coli

Only if there was a patent infringed upon. Without that, the creators of Watson don't have a legal leg - regardless of who was the first to write the idea.

I hope that Jonas Salling has applied for patents on his Salling Clicker Product.

Simple abstract for the claim of patent: "Use of a mobile computing, communication, or other personal digital devise to control the actions of a personal computer - not limited to "desktop", "laptop", or "notebook" definitions through the transmission of short range radio frequency such as but not limited to "BlueTooth", or IEEE 802.11 protocols."

That should nail it down for the future when MS tried to rip him off for the Windows world - and would preven skirting infringement via circumvension with WiFi or "G".

12. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Damn dying cancer patients!

:(

I can't even believe they are going after them, so sad.

But really if this company owned the abality to 'plug in' an applet wouldn't this affect every main stream browser... ever?

:confused:

13. macrumors regular

Even so, this is really nothing to a company with as much $ in the bank as m$....

14. macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-MrMacman

Yes, absolutely. Unless they are licensees of the technology - which is how the system works (I think NCSA was - therefore Mosaic and Netscape)

MS lost because they literally stole the tech - not license, not even recognition.

-VIREBEL661

It's not the dollar amount - well, maybe a little, $521m does hit even MS - it's the cracks in the armor. Every case MS loses, sets a precedence for the next.

15. macrumors 6502a

Vlade

To bad a half a billion dollars to MS is like 50 dollars to me...

16. macrumors regular

Keep in mind that when you are dealing with a jury, you are dealing with the dullest knives in the drawer: people so dumb they can't get out of jury duty.

17. macrumors 68030

themadchemist

18. macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-MacViolinist

Well, I'll give them this: They're smarter than some folks at the DOJ. Some can only roll over, play dead, and "arf".

19. macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Exactly. That was pocket change to M$ and the only reason they defended, IMO, was to try and keep a good name (too late).