MS Offers to Swap Pirated XP with Legal Versions

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by munkle, Nov 28, 2004.

1. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Linky and for those who are too lazy to click:

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I read this article last week, made me LARF!!! Maybe I can try getting my various VLK/Corporate editions of just about everything they have swapped for legit copies :D

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

One press copy I read of this said it applied only to OEM installed/packaged versions. So you have to send them a CD-ROM in, right? Not that I have any copies, pirated or otherwise, of XP. Or a Windows PC atm. Or live in the UK.

But my question is, are they targetting corporate or home users that illegally install an XP license on multiples machines (sounds like no), or people who download and install XP off of torrent or another filesharing system (sounds like no, because they don't have an install CD to send in), or people who bought computers from little tiny mom n' pop computer sales places that pirate XP (and how many of those are there in the UK?)?

Just curious. :)

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So are they asking people to send in their computer and their burned copy of Win XP? Can't I just send them my CD-Rs and get a free copy of WinXP? Certainly burned CDs are illegal.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Dear Mr. Krishnan,

We regret to inform you that the AOL Trial CD you sent in, with a post-it-note affixed to it, labelled "Windows XP, SP2 OEM Install" does not qualify as a pirated copy of Windows XP, and is therefore ineligible for this program. In point of fact, upon examination, our technical staff was unable to find any actual use for this CD, or to determine its purpose. We understand your frustration, but wish to remind you that while there are many pieces of software, supplied on CD-ROM, which have no actual use or purpose, the offer in question only applies to Windows XP, and not to any other software that meets these criteria. We wish you the best of luck in the future with Microsoft products, for which we encourage you to pay before you throw them in the drawer with the other useless, purposeless install CD-ROMs.

;)

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Sounds like a Christmas present from Bill Gates. Also giving those with illegal software a grace period.

8. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Wait, so if I have a pirated copy of XP on my Home PC, that I installed myself, I can get a real version? Please tell me how.

9. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

Does not apply if you installed XP yourself. Only if you bought new PC with OEM WinXP pre-installed and that copy is pirated. This is just another way for MS to track small shops that sell you a PC with illegal copy of Windows.

10. munkle thread starter macrumors 68030

munkle

Is this a big problem in the UK?

11. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

seems to me like somebody at M$ was bored so they decided to design this scheme.

How about some good, working software M$?!?!

12. moot macrumors regular

Sounds like an advertising gimmick to me.

Cant seem to think that this is a big problem in the UK. I bet not many people end up receiving a free copy of XP. Now if they were willing to replace all those copies that people buy in places like China and Thailand and then take back to the UK then that would be serious numbers getting freebies.

13. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

This is just rewarding criminality.

Instead MS, should just send out agents of their own to buy PCs from these dodgy vendors and then they will have them red handed.

14. munkle thread starter macrumors 68030

munkle

I think the purpose is to help out users who unwittingly bought computers with pirated XP on them and in turn catch the offending vendors. An advertising gimmick it might be, especially in the UK, but makes more sense than MS going round buying computers from random vendors across the country.