MS Office 2004 from PB to MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by crdean1, Mar 5, 2007.

1. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

Hello,

I have a Powerbook G4, which I bought 2 years ago (1.67, etc., etc.), and recently bought a black MacBook for work and school. When I tried to install my MS Office 2004 (also bought 2 years ago, but with 3 licenses) on my new MacBook, it would run the installation script, but it would not recognize the cd once it came time to actually install the programs.

Question is, do I need to buy an updated, "Universal" copy of office, or is there a way I can install this one.

Question 2 (unrelated): Has anyone found a good safe cleaner for the Black Macbook besides water and microfiber?

Thanks.

2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I don't know why it wouldn't work, but there is currently one (PPC, not universal) version of Office 2004.

3. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Sounds like maybe your install CD is bad because mine worked when I bought a new MacBook recently. After installation, I applied the 11.3.3 update and Office has been working just fine.

As for cleaning, I just use Monster's iClean (iKlear is basically the same stuff from what I hear) and the microfiber cloth that came with it to clean up the fingerprints. It works well on both the case and the LCD and it's safe to use.

4. FireArse macrumors 6502a

idea

Can you mount the CD/DVD on another computer, and run the installation remotely?

5. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

One way to fix this is not to use the the installation disc.

Thats the beauty of OS X. Connect the PB to the MB in target disk mode and copy the MS Office folder from Applications on the PB HDD to Applications on the MB hard drive.

Remember to eject the PB from the MB desktop before restarting it, and then run Office on the MB. It will install the necessary support files/fonts without the need for the install disc.

HTH's,

David

6. crdean1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

crdean1

Wow, thanks guys. It is good to know that I don't need to buy another copy. I'll give it a whirl and report back this evening.

7. crdean1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

crdean1

Actually, I just explored the cd, and drug the Office 2004 (and not the setup assistant, who obviously needs to be fired) to my applications folder. Ejected the cd, and all seems to be working fine.

Thanks very much for your "macrumors greatness" help.

Edit: may need a post merge on this one.