MS Office 2004 is being silly :(

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sic, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Sic macrumors 6502

whenever i try and open an office app, it gets stuck on "optimising font menu" and i have to reboot...imagine my annoyance!!!

does this mean that i have some dodgy fonts on my machine, that office doesnt like? if so, how can i identify these fonts and/or remove them?

TIA :)

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Absent some additional evidence, the behavior that you describe sounds pretty normal to me. Welcome to Office 2004.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i've seen that before, in 2003 iirc. her machine had a crapload of fonts and i used FontBook (in Applications) to disable a bunch.

it seemed the problem wasn't corrupted fonts, but that there were simply too many for Office to handle.

stupid MS.

4. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Well you're a lucky man, as I solved this very issue a while back.
    Throw away the following items: From the Office folder "Dofonts". Dump the fonts from the Fonts folder in the Office folder. (Not the folder itself) Now the biggie: Search for FONTCACHETOOL and delete it. (Forgot where it is exactly)
    You know MS is big on bloatware, and insisted on including a font checker/seeder. If you have a font that it sees as "bad" (Mine was CourierNew) it will stall. You can always look for that one font and delete it, but I have about 1,000 of them.
    The first time it starts it will take perhaps 15-20 seconds, then after that it's instantaneous.

5. Sic thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks very much Les...i'll try that. i've got around 500 fonts on my machine too, and im not trawling those for one that im not even looking for!!!

i'll give it a go at lunch time and post my results back.

cheers for your advice :)

6. Sic thread starter macrumors 6502

7. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

We're all in this together. This time it was me who suffered till a solution was found. The next MS nightmare is yours! :)

Incidently, I suggest this for ALL Office users. That's code that's just not needed at all.

later........

8. Sic thread starter macrumors 6502

i completely agree...office starts instantaneously now!!

i wonder if you can do the same with photoshop and dreamweaver ;)

....oh no, wait, they're actually good applications :D