MS Office Academic Edition lincense question...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrgreen4242, Dec 18, 2004.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I was in CompUSA the other day (ogling the iMac G5's) and noticed that the Student Teach edition of MS Office said on the front '3 install license' or something similar.

I couldn't find anymore information about that, tho, and was wondering what the restrictions on that are? Do that have to be in the same household? Owned by the same person/group? Or just any 3 students or teachers?

As it is, even $150 isn't worth Office to me, when there are so many good open source products, but $50 would make it have value.

Anyways, thanks if anyone could help me out.

Rob

2. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

3. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

So it's only good for 3 computers that you own? Seems pretty silly if that's the case. :/

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

What's silly about that? If I own three computers, it's pretty damned convenient! I think the actual license is 3 computers in the same household. But only one computer can run it at a time.

If you don't want to pay for software, you should try openoffice.org or neoffice.org.

5. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

That's what I said in my original post. :/ AbiWord is a great word processor for OSX. Office is worth about $50 to me, which is why I ask about the license.

ANyone out there actually OWN it and can comment on what the EULA says? MS is bad about not having the EULA anywhere but inside the product so you can't see it 'till after yo buy it. :(

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well, according to this page, it's 3 computers in a household. I've seen on other MR threads that it won't let you run it on different computers at the same time. There's nothing stopping you from "splitting" it among friends in three different households, but you'd be violating the EUL.

Also, I've seen it for less than $150. Maybe $135 or so, even. Some schools sell it to their students for even less.

7. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ah - Thanks, that's the sort of page I was looking for... Looks like I will be sticking with Abiword and openoffice for now...

Rob

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

The Student and Teacher version of Office will allow you to run Office on up to three computers in your household. They are full versions. You get three keys for it.

But there is a catch.

You cannot upgrade it. So if there comes out a updater to the next version for $50, it won't work on your version of office.

It is really nice IMHO. Office is great even though it is made by Microsoft. There are open source projects out there, but they often have bugs... however, some are really great works of art that are perfect. YMMV I guess. Plus, the ease of interoperability and standard-looking-ness of Office for OS X is nice.

9. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I agree with you about alot of opensource projects. AbiWord is pretty nice right now, but OOo's Mac "port" is pretty poor. I partly blame Apple for the way they have implemented X11... but it's better than not at all!

It's interesting that you get 3 seperate keys, but it seems like if I was going to split a copy w/ 2 other people that I might as well just pirate it as I am still breaking the EULA. I s'pose I would rather keep on with opensource options and Appleworks for now...

10. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

We have MS Student/Teacher at our house, and use two of the licenses - one on my computer, and one on my daughter's computer. You can use them concurrently without any issues. When you read the info that comes with MS Office, it's pretty clear it's basically a "family" license - you can install up to three different copies on three different computers, and up to three people can use the different copies. But the intent is certainly that the licenses are all used in the same household.

The main issue is keeping track of which license key you've used on which computer, in case you need to reinstall... :D