MS Office Altarnatives for Mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by awulf, Mar 1, 2002.

1. awulf macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2002
    South Australia
    I don't like Microsoft Office 2001 for mac, it has to many bugs in it and slows down and some times crashes my PowerMac 7600/132.

The only Alternatives I found so far is AppleWorks but it lacks in compatiblity with MS office and hasn't got all thoughs features.

I would like to see programs like OpenOffice/StarOffice or 602 Office running under MacOS. I put Yellow Dog Linux on my mac with OpenOffice on it but it runs really, really, really slow :( .

Does any one else know of any other alternatives for MacOS or what you think about this?
  2. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Depends on needs

What do you expect from a piece of Microsoft bloatware? It depends on your needs? Could you use Office for high end features and AppleWorks for everything else??
  3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

Oct 4, 2001
    Natick, MA
    Appleworks 6.x is very compatible with m$ orfice. I have saved files many times from within Appleworks 6 (under OS 9 AND OS X). If you haven't tried version 6, then I suggest doing so. Make sure you update it fully to the very latest (all available for download). The original release of version 6 didn't have all the compatibility, but in later updates they resolved this issue.

I have yet to have Appleworks crash on me, or bring my computer down. Orfice on the other hand... 'nuf said.
  4. mac15 macrumors 68040

Dec 29, 2001
    M$ucks office is crap
    its slow and expensive try appleworks 6
  5. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Dec 14, 2001
    If you can wait a few months a linux office is coming to X this summer and is M$ compatible.