MS Office Crash during save

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by saabmp3, Feb 17, 2006.

1. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

So around 4pm yesterday I sat down to start writing lab report. Knowing that it was going to take quite some time, I made a pot of coffee and procured some food for my adventure. Around 2 I experienced my first crash. MS Office 2004, during an auto save, reported "Disk Full, please .... (don't remember), delete files or close applications to make space". Thinking that my disk was full, I threw away a couple larger downloads that I no longer needed and closed down all of my applications besides office. When I looked at total HD space, it's reporting over 9 GB free. Then, out of no where I got the spinning beach ball which never went away. I was resorted to force quitting office and starting it back up. Luckily, I had recently saved my document and lost only minor revisions.

Then around 3:30 it happened again, but once again I had saved recently (I started saving every 5 minutes before this crash). When it asked for a new save location, I gave it both my key drive (200 MB free) and a network drive to save to, but it always came back with the error that the disk was full (not the case for any of them). Finally, getting tired and losing patience with the report my saves were getting less and less frequent. I made my last save around 6:20am before the big crash at 7:10. I lost over 50 minutes of changes, additions, etc. Needless to say, I was quite unhappy as I was nearly finished at this point.

Can anybody tell me what the heck MS office was doing? For reference, this document was a hodpodge of everything, well over 150 equations from the MS equation editor, excel charts and graphs, .bmp's, .jpeg's, screen caps. It was quite the write up (as you can imagine, even without the time lost to the crashes, I spent a good 17 solid hours typing away on office), total space used from the final save file was around 2.0MB's (for the .doc alone). While I was typing, excel was open, iTerm, Photoshop CS2, iTunes and Safari, basically only the essentials for the paper (besides iTunes). What can I do to ensure that this never happens again? If I lose a whole paper because of this, I'm going to have quite the heart attack. I'm pretty sure that my heart skipped a beat this morning anyways once or twice.

For reference, I have a 12 PB, 1.33 GHz, 768 MB ram, 60 GB HD if that helps.

Any ideas to prevent this?

Ben

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Office's errors are messed up. Do you have a combination of DivX, 3ivX and Flip4Mac installed?

3. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

Did you install any new fonts lately... New fonts make MS go nuts on my machine..

4. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

excel crashed a few times today on me when i was editing bar charts.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There is a know incompatibility with the combination of DivX (or 3ivX) and Flip4Mac. They mess with Office big time. :(

I ended up sticking with just Flip4Mac and haven't had any problems. :)

6. saabmp3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, so I don't have 3ivx or DIVx installed (that I know of, I do have some DVD rippers that have never caused problems). I did recently install Flip4Mac, so I took that off, hopefully it fixes the problem.

I have another one to write soon enough, so I'll let people know if that fixes the problem.

Ben