Ms Office For Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mbutler, Oct 19, 2006.

1. mbutler macrumors newbie

I have recently purchased a Mac Book OS X10.4. I notice that MS Office 2004 is installed for a duration then I must buy it if I want. My question is that I have already purchased the said software and wish to install it, do I have to wait until the 20 days left before the installed one expires or can I uninstall it (Not sure how that is done yet) and install my copy.:confused:

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can uninstall the trial and any time. There is an application on the trial folder to do exactly that.

3. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

If you try to install the full version it will probably tell you there is an existing version and would you like to continue, just click on yes. It should just install over the demo. To 'uninstall' most software on a mac you just drag it to trash btw :)

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I seem to remember the Office trial is a bit different and if you don't run the remove program your full install gets messed up :(

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The easiest way to install Office 2004 by drag and drop installation. No warning is necessary and no warning is given. However, you should run the uninstaller to remove the trial version before you use the production version.

6. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

And you have to be logged in on an admin account (the OP appears to be new to Macs so probably won't understand this) if you use the installer package.

Logging in as a standard user, and using the admin login to install (like you do with all other installs if you have a standard account) using the MS installer, will screw things up, especially for software updates. I got caught with this when installing Office on my wife's MB. I had to uninstall and redo it.

7. Zoolook macrumors newbie

Zoolook

It does exactly that. After installation is asks you if you want to remove the trial version and strongly recommends you do so.

As an aside, I have found a way to guarantee a system crash using word and a USb drive on a Macbok. Open word and plug in a USB drive. Start a document and save it on the drive, then make an edit. Then close the lid on your Macbook. After it's gone to sleep, wake it up and try and close word... BOOM!

... or maybe it's just me.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why use Word anyway? TeXshop is the way to go.

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

If you're *attempting* to use Word to do any sort of Page layout (anything other than straight word processing) it's Apple Pages all the way baby.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

OpenOffice and NeoOffice are both free, and do the same stuff Word does.

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

It does.
    Yup. MS Office comes w/ an uninstaller. Use it. :p