MS Office (Intel) anytime soon?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Temujin, May 29, 2006.

1. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Nobody knows. I'll venture a guess and say "with the release of office:mac 2007"

3. Temujin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Temujin

So next year at the earliest. Hmm, know any equivalent to MS that do work on x86?

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

What about Rosetta?

Office 2004 should run perfectly well through Rosetta. I still run a G4 PB, so I can't speak to this personally, but all everything I've heard seems to imply that Office running under Rosetta runs at near-equal speed to Office running on PPC.

...so, if it's speed you're concerned with, the thought seems to be don't worry too much. I imagine that's not necessarily true if you're using spreadsheets with 33,000 rows or something like that, but for relatively mild paper writing and spreadsheet use, I think the PPC version will more than suffice running under Rosetta.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I've found office:mac 2004 to run perfectly well under Rosetta, and that's on machines with only 512MB RAM. The programs took a bit longer to open but once open they were fine.

6. Temujin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Thanks guys. I'll just run out and get the 2004 version then.

7. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

I'll second that. I've had no problems with Office 2004 on my MBP. In fact, it runs a little faster than on my old G4 iMac.

8. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Office 2004 runs great on my Intel iMac. The only thing I notice is Office applications open a little slower on it then on my iMac G5, but once they are up and running there is no difference.