MS Office Mac 2004

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MyLittleRiley, Feb 15, 2007.

1. MyLittleRiley macrumors newbie

Can anyone tell me the difference between MS Office mac pro and the MS Office Student/Teacher edition? When I read the description, they sound the same except for Virual PC for Mac 7.0-which I have no idea what that is.

Thanks!

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The only differences are Pro includes Virtual PC, and you are only supposed to get the student and teacher edition if you are one.

3. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Well student/teacher edition is only for those people and the other one is for the rest of us. The only difference that I know about is the student is cheaper as the standard one

4. MyLittleRiley thread starter macrumors newbie

What is the Virtual PC?

mrkramer - Loomis?? I am right by you in Roseville!

5. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Virtual PC lets you run MS Windows on your Mac. But...
    ...it's useless and irrelevant if you have an Intel Mac;
    ...(although I've never used it) it performs badly on a PPC anyway (from what I've heard);
    ...MS have ceased development.

The Student & Teacher edition of MS Office makes absolutely no attempt to validate your eligibility. It is a fully featured product. I think the store you buy it from is supposed to ask for proof-of-elegibility (in theory).

However, you shouldn't buy the student version unless you actually are one (or a Teacher, or whatever). Microsoft are a fine & reasonable company whose products are priced ethically and fairly. They are fully deserving of every cent of their revenue stream, and if you cannot afford full-priced Microsoft products, then there are plenty of compatible alternatives for sale in your local computer store.

HTH
    SL

PS: Of interest, perhaps, I was in a store the other day looking at the new Windows versions of M$ Office. Their student version is now called "Student & Home Edition" or something, and to qualify for the license you just have not use it commercially. I guess that when the new (Universal) version of Office comes out... Microsoft will go this way. If so, then for once I applaud M$.

6. MyLittleRiley thread starter macrumors newbie

I am a Nursing student, so I do qualify for the Student/Teacher Ed. I have MS XP Professional on my laptop and do not use anything besides Word, Excel and PowerPoint. So, I have software that I never used!

I am buying my new MacBook next week, so I am trying to get everything in order. I am very excited to buy a MacBook!

7. mcatt66 macrumors member

mcatt66

i got the student teacher one and it works good. . has all basics u need. . .

8. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Check with your college or university. Many have agreements that allow students (and staff) to buy the software at greatly reduced prices ($5-$100 when I was last eligible). My school made a wide range of software available including MS Office for both Mac and PC.

Of course, according to that license agreement, you are to delete that software when you are no longer eligible to purchase it....

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I have it too, and it includes everything that you need.

10. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

the student teacher edition cannot be upgraded (it can be updated) so when 2007 comes out you will have to buy a brand new full version student/teacher edition instead of paying an upgrade fee.

you might want to try open office for a couple of months and wait for 07

11. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

True.

But, if Microsoft continue their current pricing trends, then the next version upgrade price probably won't be too different to the next student/teacher price. So if you still qualify, it still works out much cheaper in the long run... probably.

SL

12. WRXHokie macrumors regular

WRXHokie

Works just fine on my G4... if you need windows for some applications then its worth it if you have the PPC version. If you have an intel mac, then dont bother, you dont need it.

13. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

You can usually purchase the professional version of Office 2004 from your university for less than you can get the Student edition for from a normal store. IE, my university sells Office 2004 Pro for $70 (full version, not the upgrade). You have to sign an agreement to not use it for professional purposes, however, when purchasing it (its a physical addendum to the license agreement that pops up when you install).

14. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Let me clarify this:

I own a PPC G5 Quad, with 4 GB RAM

I have Virtual PC 7 installed, running Windows 2000 Pro (SP 4).
    Windows has 512 MB of memory assigned (max), and max. settings for "video memory".

The performance is dreadful. Yes, you can use Word / Excel and browse the internet, or maybe even do your income tax returns, because these apps don't need a "quickish" CPU. Try installing QuickTime, and playing a simple 640 x 480 MPEG4 encoded movie.... forget it. Maybe 10 fps tops.

Becasue EVERY action must be "translated" bewteen x86 and PPC, it all takes ages for evey action in Windows to complete. Even my Quad 2.5 GHz G5 will struggle to outperform a P3 running at a mere 400 MHz.... Moving a window around with the contents visible shows so much lag, it looks like running Mac OS X 10.0.0 on an iMac G3 233 MHz with 2 MB VRAM and 32 MB RAM. :p

On top of that, the grfx is also emulated. The Video-RAM is borrowed from the normal RAM, which is slower than normal VRAM and probably accessed at a very, very slow speed aswell. Example above illustrates that to some extent too.

So, it simply is a tool to let you run some non-CPU intense and non-grfx demanding Windows-only applications on your Mac.
    I used to use it for my income tax returns, but fortunately we have a Mac version over here now.

But, I still install it for the fun of it.