MS Office - New version this year?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joshua_msu, Feb 20, 2005.

1. joshua_msu macrumors regular

joshua_msu

I was wondering if anyone heard of a new version of Office coming out within the year? I have 2004, but I am just wondering if I should just sell it along with my computer and buy the new version at that time. Thanks.

2. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I major update/service pack is coming this summer, but not an entirely new edition.

3. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

New versions of MS Office do not come out that often. The first version of Office released for Mac was Office 98. 3 years later, Office V.x came out. 3 years after that, Office 2004 came out. So, as you can see, there is usually a long time between version releases.

4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

The next Windows version will come out first if they follow their prior pattern. Office 2005. The Mac version would be called Office 2006. I can see them come out with a new Windows version in Oct/Nov. I hope all of Office is ported to the Mac on the next version. Microsoft publicly mentioned they were working on future version of Office for the Mac even before Office 2004 was shipped.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Will they use as many resources for Office now that iWork is out? Sure, I realise that iWork isn't a viable Office replacement at the moment, but it looks like it will gain the necessary features in the future (spreadsheet etc.)

6. Logik macrumors 6502a

yes they will. iWork is FAR from being reaady... and from what i've heard extremely horrible at doing even simple things. office is the defacto standard and as such will remain a big money maker for microsoft. Pages is way to different from Word to make it useful to most people who use Word now.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, fair enough. I'm fully aware of the shortcomings of iWork, but the fact that Apple has obviously started entering this market after leaving AppleWorks alone for so long must surely be seen as a threat at Microsoft.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

I really wish Apple would put an Office-type suite together.

It makes me cringe when I have to give M$ money. For serious.

And I think Apple could do a way better job at it if they poured their resources into it, but I'm guesing Tiger is at the top of the list along with their iLife and video suites right now.

9. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

For better or for worse, MS Office is the industry standard. I think its probably better to allow MS to control it to ensure that it remains 100% cross platform compatible with Windows Office.

Besides that, software like Office and Adobe Photoshop are industry standards in their fields. it takes a significant investment to dislodge an industry standard and there are probably other areas Apple can get a better bang for the buck on R&D.

10. iGary Guest

iGary

And I agree with you on that note, but anything to get away from Microsoft makes me happy.

Heck, I changed to Adobe ID because I got so tired of Quark's crappy service and other business policies. A whole 6-seat license gone to Adobe because Quark is what it is.

11. joshua_msu thread starter macrumors regular

joshua_msu

12. dhracer88 macrumors regular

I too wish Apple would come out with a MS replacement. I haven't gotten my Mac yet, but I'll probably get MS office ($65 from my university), unless there is a better Apple product out. But I would prefer to just use Appleworks. I didn't want to start a new thread, so here are some questions:
    Is Appleworks that bad? I heard that there isn't any background spell check/auto-correct features, but is that true? I have problems with because/becasue & and/adn.
    And is the spreadsheet able to create graphs and calculate values similar to Excel (simple stuff-no real number crunching)?

Thanks,
    JM

13. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I wish they'd do Access. I use it every day at the office on my <cough> PC. I've used it from the beginning - actually came to Access from Paradox for DOS.

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Echoing what others have said, don't hold your breath for the next version of Office for the Mac. The next version will likely be for Windows (following the Windows > Mac > Windows > Mac pattern), and I'd be willing to bet a Krispy Kreme glazed donut that it won't come out until 2006, when Longhorn is released. The development cycle for Office is getting longer, not shorter, on BOTH platforms, and there haven't even been any rumors out there yet concerning the next version of Office for Windows.

Not to mention, Microsoft seems to be pulling back from the Mac in response to Apple's move into application (Pages, Keynote, etc.) software, or vice versa.

15. timmyb macrumors 6502

Are there any new rumours about an update to MS Office. I will need it when I go to uni in september but it might be useful to buy it as soon as I get my iBook. Any views? Also, are we likely to see a new version of the much maligned iWork any time soon. I'd love to use the Apple program but from what i've read here, it sounds very poor.

16. joshua_msu thread starter macrumors regular

joshua_msu

Just buy it when you get to school. My school computer store has the full version of MS Office 2004 for 60 dollars for students. I think it retails around 300.

17. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

First off, Pages is in no way intended to compete with any Microsoft product. OTOH, Keynote is a credible replacement for PowerPoint.

To correct a mistaken post above: In the post-Windows 95 era, Office:win 95, Office:win 97, Office:mac 98, Office:win 2000, Office:mac 2001, Office:win XP, Office:mac v.X, Office:win 2003, Office:mac 2004. Following this pattern, Office:win 2005 would seem to be behind schedule. Whenever it is released, we cannot expect a new version of Office:mac for at least a year following the next Windows version.

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Looks like Office 2006 will be the next windows version. This article is the first I have heard of it:

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=163702927

Edit: The whole article is about Office 12 / 2006 / whatever, and how it will use XML as its standard data format instead of .doc, .xls, etc, and how its strategy towards interfacing in corporate environments is changing....

Here is a tidbit: