MS Office slow on new Intel Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dizzled, Dec 14, 2006.

1. dizzled macrumors newbie

So I got a new macbook, core 2, and MS office is ridiculously slow. Is this because it is the 'test drive' or because it is not a universal binary. If it is the latter I won't buy it and I will get iwork, if it is just an issue of my version not being registered then I may buy it.

I have to say that I do not like pages as much as word. Keynote seems to be pretty good. But i need excel or an excel like program and spreadsheet does not do it for me. Anyway, sorry to rant.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

add ur memory to >1G, everything would be fine.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Are you running 10.4.8? That release implemented a massive increase in Rosetta performance.

4. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

I have 2gb of RAM and it runs very smoothly. I have actually had more 'slow' issues with the iWorks trial than the Office tiral.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

A bit of both I'm afraid. It's really not all that fast on an MBP with 2GB of RAM. It's also possible that the Test Drive is a carbonized app, which would make it even slower. Supposedly there will be an Office 2007 that is UB. Until then, those of us that use it are stuck with some crawliness. Though I find it dealable.

Instead of cashing in for iWork, I'd investigate NeoOffice or OpenOffice as an alternative until a UB version exits.

6. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

you should also conside OpenOffice. I'm not a big fan, but others swear by it.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

even openoffice/neooffice can not run smoothly on a 512MB machine.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Unless the OP has bought the low end C2D iMac then he or she has 1GB of RAM.

9. dizzled thread starter macrumors newbie

I have 1 G of ram and I am running 10.4.8 I'm not springing for another gig of ram right now since there is no reason I should NEED 2 gigs of RAM. I'll look into open office and neooffice. Thanks everyone

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I must have missed where the original poster states that the MB only has 512MB of RAM? :confused:

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no, u did not, OP didn't states the size of his memory in the first post.

12. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Office will run slower on intel macs until Microsoft releases an intel version. If you use a lot of office you will notice it being slower but it should not be slow to the extent that you find it annoying.

Go to your application folder, Utilities and open Activity Monitor. Check for your CPU and system memory and see how much you use of it. Apps like Parallels, office, firefox and games do take a lot of memory, its always nice to know how much you use.

13. Tork macrumors regular

Tork

The only time Office's slowness really annoys is when opening one of the programs. Typing in word and using excel -- hardly any difference than on a ppc.