MS Office Student Edition Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Guitarius, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

So I'm going to break down and buy MS Office, cause I need the 100% compatability with my roomates/colleagues/class mates. NeoOffice is great, but there are still some problems. Since I qualify for the Student Edition, I'm going to save the extra few hundred bucks, and get it. But I have a question.

I remember my father talking about while he was teaching at a university, he bought some new software from the campus bookstore. It was some C++ compilers, or something like that. Anyway, he said that when he printed the stuff from this program, every other page had a waterwark that said "Student Edition" and everytime he executed a program, a blank screen would flash before the program started that said "This program was made with a Student Verson compiler."

I just wanted to know if the Student Edition of Office had anything like this, or really anything I should know that would hinder the use in any way, shape, or form.

Thanks.

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

No, you shouldn't see anything like that. The only place where you might see anything is in the About dialog box... and there probably won't even be anything out of the ordinary there.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Interesting...I've never seen that on any MS student edition product. No, MS Office doesn't have any usage limitations if you're running it off a student license. It's the same software. AFAIK, always has been. This is true on Macs and on PCs....

4. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Wow. That was fast. Thanks a lot. That's what I figured. Seems like they would say something somewhere on the numerous websites I've looked at.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

There is one main limitation:
    You cannot use a Student edition as the base to *upgrade* to version 200x in the future. In other words it's a "dead-end" license. If there is a new 2007 version of Office released for Tiger, Puma, Siamese, Calico, whatever, then you have to purchase the full version at that time.

And as is usual with Educational versions, you cannot sell or give away the program, even if you stop using it.

"You can't transfer your usage rights to another individual."

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is a good point...lessened of course by the fact that MS Office for students costs less than the upgrade license anyway. ;)

Hehehe I like your cats. *sings* Jellicle cats are queens of the night, singing at astronomical heights, handling pieces from the Messiah, hallelujah a Jellicle choir!

7. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Well that happend to me when i got my PowerMac G5, when i opened a doc i always got the water mark of "Trail version" or something. I never tryed to print but when i installed MS Office and deleted that it went away.

Dont be upset, i use MS Office aswell, what can you do? unless apple releases an upgrade for iWorks 05 with spreadsheet i dont see myself switching anytime soon.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Somebody is pulling your leg.

9. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

You might want to check with your campus help desk, IT dept. Depending on the license they have, you can get a copy of Office for free! (no joke) I work at a university, and was surprised to see we have a "Site license" for almost everything microsoft, including the operating system - and if you sign a waiver saying "once you leave the university...." you can install it on your machine. Worth checking anyway... :D

10. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

My friend got a free copy of MS Office (for PC) when he signed for online classes, thanks for pointing that out.

11. lupine macrumors newbie

No they're not -- there was a student version of Visual Studio 6 IIRC that massively crippled your applications like that. Thankfully Microsoft gave up on that idea with the Visual Studio .NET series, and have even been giving away free, "express" versions of the upcoming VS.NET 2005 edition (available at http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/).

12. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I have the student version of Office X, and it functions as normal as can be :) It doesnt even say anything about it in the About box or anything

13. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

The ONLY difference is the price and the fact that you can install it one 3 machines instead of the usual one.

Everything else, everything, is the same.

14. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

No you also can not use Office upgrade edition on it either.

15. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Maya student edition does this also if I'm not mistaken. For whoever had "Trial Version" on their documents, that's the free version of Office that you can download as a literal trial version. Considering it's totally free, I'm not surprised that it's quite limited.

BEN

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's what I tell myself every time I use Internet Explorer! :D

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, I can get free MS software too... with the exception of Office :mad:

I needed Project for a paper I was doing, so I got that, and it came with a sheet full of CD keys for practically every MS product :D