MS picked design for new Xbox after consumers said it was designed by Apple

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mac-er, May 17, 2005.

1. mac-er macrumors 65816

According to this Time Magazine article (subscription required), MS made a final decision on the the design of the new Xbox after consumer groups in Japan said that the box looked as though it had been designed by Apple.

Consumers were asked who they thought designed the unit with being told it was from MS.

I thought this was an interesting enough comment to warrant a new thread.

Edit: Consumers thought it could've been designed by Sony or Apple.

2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Shows what they know! Mac Mini vs Xbox 360.... anyone else tell the difference.
    It has none of the clean lines I would associate with a new piece of apple tech.
    I loved the old Xbox's clunky charm, i grew accustomed to it.

3. MontyZ macrumors 6502a

What??? The mistook that big ugly tower PC disguised as a game machine as being designed by Apple?? They must be blind.

4. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

They've got to be kidding. :eek: When I first saw it, my first thought was that it had Dell Dimension written all over it. It looks absolutely nothing like anything Apple would ever design! :D

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thats funny...
    anyone care to post the entire article here?

6. SilverLight macrumors newbie

i could really care less becasue when i get it, im painting it....dont know of what yet

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Well it looks like those consumer groups didnt have a clue of what they were saying, It looks like crap, doesnt look at all like anything Apple would make and what do you expect its microstink. Most companies could learn a lot about clean style. MacMini is clean style. Xbox 360 is goofy looking but not as bad Ps2 version 1 or 2 ( Gag ).

8. cubist macrumors 68020

That's really insulting, actually... Agree that it looks like a dell dimension, esp. with that big round light on it - the dells have a big chrome button that does nothing at all - maybe they're copying the bug round silver button on the Quicksilver that, if you pushed it, it damaged the speaker (great idea - not).

The original rumors re the Xbox360 were that they were significantly cheapening the design.

9. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

...b-b-but it's WHITE!! j-j-just like an IPOD or IBOOK!!! IT MUST HAVE BEEN MADE BY APPLE!!!

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

God! People really said that? It's REALLY ugly!

11. poundsmack macrumors 6502

poundsmack

they made it look plain on purpose. there is the ability to customize the hell out of its appearence. so this way they sell customization parts and make more money. its MS in a nut shell

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The MS design team should get a raise whenever they make something that people think is a copy of Apple. It means people might like it. ;)

13. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

identical to the poopy looking dells that my school uses instead its kinda greyish and not black. at least its not as bad as the dells
    :p

14. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

I'm not so sure it looks like something that would come from Apple, but saying that I think it's best that it doesn't follow the Apple design ethos.

Consoles aren't supposed to look like computers, they're supposed to be sleek and give an impression of speed and agility from their outward appearance - while also appealing to homeowners concerned about the aesthetics of their living room!

If any of the new consoles looked like my Mac mini I would think they had failed in capturing what a console is all about. The Mac mini style fits perfectly as a computer, but as a console it would look plain and boring.

I wouldn't say the Xbox 360 looks like something Microsoft would design - it's so different from the original. I wouldn't say it looks like a Sony either though as it doesn't have any of the sharp lines and glossy finishes that typifies recent Sony products.

Are the side panels of the Xbox 360 plastic or aluminium? And anyone know if the original Xbox was designed in house or by an external design consultancy?

15. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Remember when brushed aluminum was rare, now it's everywhere. Apple white products are now getting attention and now everythings white.

So in conclusion.
    White is the new brushed aluminum

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It certainly reminds me of Dell, the only difference is that its not black. Its almost like they wanted people to think it was done by Apple, why else use the silver look. Steve would fire a person for such a design.

17. MontyZ macrumors 6502a

And before that, everything came in fruit-flavored colors after the original iMacs were such a huge hit. Apple sets design trends, that's for sure.

18. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

My fav part from the article posted by clayj.
    At least they know who is best to copy! To me, I would be thrilled to be good and individual. Whatever.

19. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Reminds me of a friend who was shopping for a new refrigerator and noticed that all the models were stainless steel. He remarked that stainless steel was the avocado of the new millenium. (in reference to the 70s appliances that we now view as HIDEOUS).

Aluminum was the new black. White is the new aluminum. Can't get much more stark than that. We'll be hitting faux wood grain soon enough.. :p

20. iGav macrumors G3

What do you mean soon? :eek:

You've not been able to move for all the veneer in the design world for the last few years :eek: :p

21. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    After the original announcement I kinda glossed over the look and simply read into the design attempt as MS just trying a little hard to look less boxey.

The thread tone here and article submitted has just given me the first opportunity to actually look at it and it is quite offending to the eye. Last time major Xbox execs resigned/were pushed either side of the produce release. I'm interesting to see how long it takes before the first board member decides they need to spend more time with their family...

The games will make it sell. Nothing else.

22. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Yeah. And it looks STUNNING with all the chrome accents that are popping up. I wish I still had my '72 Ford Pinto Station Wagon with the wood-sticker sides.. I'm guessing that was the car I was driving when my tar's picture was taken... The women were helpless...

23. MontyZ macrumors 6502a

LOL! Love the blonde 'fro dude! :D

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think the PS3 looks sweet, not XBox 360 or Nintendo Revolution.