MS Publisher program for mac????

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jayeskreezy, Apr 20, 2005.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2005
    Are there any programs for the mac that are comparable to MS Publisher? Basically, I need a program that makes newsletters like publisher does and can be opened on a PC and a mac if mac doesnt have publisher. IF .mac does where can I get it from?

Thanks yall!
  2. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    The closest thing would be Pages (part of the iWork bundle) and it can save its output in a few different forms that can be read on a PC.
  3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    There's always Ragtime Solo.

Download for PC & Mac -- haven't personally used it but poss. worth a try.
  4. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    In a Mauve Dream
    How 'About PDF?

You can use the suggestions above, and save the result as PDF to make sure they will display properly on A PC. Then again, if you need to retain editing capabilities... that changes it all. Adobe's InDesign would work nicely, but it's pricey.
  5. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2005
    is indesign similar to microsoft publisheR? I just want to make a newsletter and be able to edit it
  6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    InDesign is a serious layout package. MS Publisher is not...
  7. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2005
    can you create a simple newsletter in indesign without getting too serious?
  8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    of course, but it would be overkill
  9. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2004
    Don't go with InDesign. It's (obviously) a great app, but just to make a newsletter you'd be wasting a ton of money. I use Pages for newsletter-ish activities and it's a very easy-to-use app that (for the most part) doesn't involve a lot of formatting mess and complication. Save it as PDF if you want them to only be able to read it, but if you want them to be able to edit it... it has a decent Microsoft Word export feature, so if you have Word you could export it and then tweak it in Word to unscrew whatever the export screwed up. Oh, and don't listen to all of the negative criticism about Pages - an inDesign killer it is not, and a Word killer it is not, and it is far from perfect but I use it frequently and find it takes much less energy to make something look good in Pages compared to Word. Think of Pages as iMovie and inDesign as Final Cut Pro. Or Garageband vs. Logic.
  10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    As others have said InDesign is overkill. Pages should be able to do most of what you need to.

The reason to go for ID is if you want to learn more, and get more involved with DTP. ID is also great if you have great demands on your printer (a print shop).

I might be helpful to have a better idea of how this newsletter is to be used. And your hopes for it.
  11. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    For what you want, MacKiev/Broderbund's Print Shop also fits the bill, I'd think.
  12. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2005
    thanks...pages will's not as easy to use as publisher, but it will work for the purpose i'm trying to achieve
  13. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    Actually, i found after a quick learning curve, Pages was easier to use the Publisher- it does, however, have some limitations that publisher does not have.