MS Surface Hands on

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by TheBama, Oct 26, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

I like the packaging. Heavy box. All the seals have pull tabs for damage free opening and removal of the product. Tablet itself is completely covered in plastic.

The keyboard magnets are strong, and "snapped" the cover into place without me having to fiddle to get the contacts right. The keyboard is wonderful. Much easier to use than a virtual keyboard. Set-up is identical to Windows 8.

After set-up my Start page had all my settings from my 8 install, including my Facebook updates and desktop settings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. macrumors 65816

Just got mine 10 min ago. Still unopened

Attached Files:

3. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Nice! That keyboard cover seems very cool! I don't have need for another tablet but glad to see some more competition in the marketplace. Let us know what you think after a week or so of use.

4. macrumors regular

Awesome! Post up more about it after you use it more since you have Win8 too.

5. macrumors 68020

I'm sooooooo jealous! :D:D:D

I was thinking of buying one, but some reviews threw me back, mainly that's it's more heavy and bulky than the iPad (which was obvious from the beginning, I know), the awkward screen aspect ratio when in portrait and some early software bugs.

I think it's more of a pc than a tablet. Maybe I'll look at Asus if they are thinner and lighter.

Tell us everything you can about your new machines! I want to know everything :D:D

6. macrumors G3

Night Spring

What do you do if you DON'T want to replicate your desktop settings on your tablet? Or you want some things synced, but not others? For instance, I might want my Facebook settings to be the same on my desktop and tablet, but want a different home screen layout for each.

7. macrumors member

nice!

will probably wait for x86 version to replace my laptop.

8. macrumors regular

In settings you choose what to sync

9. macrumors G3

Night Spring

Good to know, thanks!

10. macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

I would still prefer a tactile feel to the keyboard when I depress the keys. The review that I saw for this device indicate that the keyboard feels like a touch screen keyboard without the screen. I hate touch screen keyboards.

11. macrumors regular

I got to play around for a little bit in the store today, its definitely an improvement over a touch screen keyboard. The touch cover is quite responsive and I have no doubt after a week i could type close to my normal typing speed on it. And if you prefer tactile, the type cover is always an option.

12. macrumors 6502

Nice! Still waiting for mine to arrive. Will be doing a short more enterprise-oriented review focusing on ActiveSync, Office, RDP/Citrix, etc...

13. PhoneI, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

macrumors 65816

Got mine today too. I like the device, but I dont love it. The screen resolution is a major problem. I will not be using the Win8 Kindle app a lot because the lower resolution really bothers my eyes. It also doesn't help that I HATE the Windows 8 font.

Other than that, Windows 8 seems to be pretty fun. I dont know if its because its new or what, but I like it.

One last thing, who was the genius at MS that came up with the idea to refuse to sell the 64GB version without the touch cover. I wanted to buy the Type cover and I couldn't.

----------

While it might not be, it feels far heavier than the iPad3 in your hand. Portrait is also useless. I will say that the Asus Win8 RT tablet is extremely light.

14. macrumors G3

Renzatic

From what I've heard, it weighs just as much, and is about 1mm thinner than the iPad at its thickest point. The reason it looks fatter is because it doesn't have as extreme a taper towards the edge.

15. macrumors 6502a

Looks really elegant. No doubt feels elegant too.

16. macrumors 65816

It is about the same weight, but it feels a lot heavier in hand. Probably has something to do with the weight distribution.

17. macrumors 6502a

very nice! Is that windows RT guys?

I'm really looking forward to UK pricing on a core i3.

18. macrumors G3

Renzatic

Yeah, I could see that. It's longer and thinner, which probably makes it feel a little more awkward than the iPad. Specially if you hold it with one hand.

19. macrumors regular

Yep, Surface only comes with RT as of now. Pro is supposedly coming out in January with full Windows 8.

20. macrumors 6502a

It's RT.

Surface Pro not due until next year.

21. macrumors 6502a

thanks, is there a list anywhere so I can find out what program (apps) can run on which OS version?

22. macrumors regular

RT only runs pre-approved Windows apps through the Microsoft store. It has no capability to run legacy apps from previous Windows versions. Pro will be able to run any Windows program from previous generations in theory.

23. macrumors regular

Just to clarify it runs legacy apps that were built for ARM by Microsoft such as Notepad, Office RT, calc and such, but NOT 3rd party desktop apps.

Btw to the guy that was asking, heres the sync part of options

Attached Files:

24. macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys :)

25. macrumors G3

Night Spring

That was my thought too. I suppose you could buy the Type Cover in addition to the 64Gb+touch cover bundle, but then you'd be left with a cover you aren't using.

Fortunately, there's a Microsoft popup store near me, so I'll be dropping by to try the covers before buying one. If I buy a Surface at all, that is. It's an intriguing idea, but I'm far from convinced that it's actually usable.

Thank you, good to see it's very customizable.