MS to drop IE as a standalone

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by funkywhat2, Jun 1, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

2. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: MS to drop IE as a standalone

What can't Safari do?
    I have heard banking, but I wouldn't know, most of the website I go to are nice and load correctly.

I don't think this means much at all because on a Mac IE doesn't use any windows to run.

3. macrumors regular

zulgand04

i think all this means is microsoft has hit a wall with the development of IE as a seprate program and the only way they can continue to develop it like they want to into the system is, to change windows around to what hey want out of IE. I don't think this will effect the mac version is they stop development on the web standared browser, i think there will be legal issuses. not like i care anyways i've used IE i think once since it came out.

4. macrumors regular

Isn't the whole "IE as a part of Windows" what the whole anti-trust lawsuit was about? Or did they get permission because they settled or something?

enoch

5. macrumors P6

wdlove

We still need IE for a while yet untill all the kinks have been worked out of Safari. My wife had to use IE yesterday, because in Safari the website wouldn't accept her signup info. Otherwise she uses Safari exclusively!

6. macrumors 6502

What about other browsers?

I used to use Netscape all the time. I don't care for it so much anymore; I REALLY like Safari. But couldn't we do without IE? I hear talk about other browsers, Camino (?) and others. Maybe these aren't the preferred choice for people, but if they can fill in the holes until Safari does what everyone wants, why not be M$ free?

7. macrumors P6

wdlove

Re: What about other browsers?

My wife doesn't like Netscape. So her real only choice is IE, but she rarely use it!

8. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

9. macrumors 6502a

Does this means, we have to write code for Windows now

Looks like we have to call all the web development a windows programming? So far, we have been telling browser compatibility, now we have to write web pages that are Windows compatible. The recent agreement between AOL and M$ is the end of netscape. Come on apple, lets bring Safari for Linux, and Windows. So that people will write pages for alternate browsers not just for Windows operating system.

10. macrumors 68030

Les Kern

Re: MS to drop IE as a standalone

MS to drop IE as a standalone

Fine.
    Anyway, I heard that IE6 for Mac will be a 300MB download, you'll have to call to register it, repeating same every time you run a patch.
    Safari does "almost" everything. By the time IE dies on the Mac, everything should be fixed. Hell, it's great and it's still in beta!
    Bub-bye Bill.

11. macrumors 68000

Fukui

Re: Does this means, we have to write code for Windows now

Totaly agree. I don't know why theres even a WWW if all companies are doing is writting for Windows...they might as well just write full-fledged apps for MS the way they're going...:confused:
    Once again, MS has maintained "Embrace Extend Extinguish"