Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I thought they got slapped on the wrists already for trying to integrate IE into Windows, so why are they trying to do it yet again?

That was good for business! As a result of that they had to do something "nice" for some schools. They donated a bunch of computers with...hmm...what os again? Oh yeah, Windows. And they came with really fun EULAs that said that no non-microsoft products could ever be installed on them. Now when Longhorn comes along they'll apparently be able to enforce those kinds of things--and you can bet they will. Not only can Microsoft make lemons into lemonade, they can make anything into lemonade just by insisting that it's lemonade for long enough. They're a scary little organization.

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
Late 2005.

What I see in this is, perhaps vindictively, another attempt on the part of Microsoft to copy a corporate strategy that Apple began to push a long time ago: Simplicity. Windows is currently pretty convoluted, so addressing the complexity of the operating experience is MS's first step towards creating a better OS, but also, "coincidentally," that also means an OS more similar to Mac OS X.
I don't think they will ever accomplish their goal. Mac OS X has simplicity implicit in its interface. It is not only relatively easy to send email and listen to music, but it is also easy to burn a CD, create movies, and interact with other computers over otherwise complex local and foreign networks. Without all the candy-colored tips.
My point is that simplicity is part of Mac OS X's nature, whereas Microsoft is trying to make their complex operating system simple to use. There better be a whole lot more candy-colored tips.

xpormac

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by Macmaniac
I like how MS has adopted the Apple aqua color for their logo in Longhorn.

Just because apple has a color doesn't mean microsoft copied it :rolleyes:

evilsprung

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2003
speaking of longhorn's UI, I saw some technology demonstrations for it on extremetech. Anyways I was wondering did apple ever release tech demos for quartz extreme? Some of the things that they do for the longhorn demos are quite impressive.

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
impressive, yes...
utterly useless...yes

At least with OSX's genie effect it tells the user where his minimized window goes.

evilsprung

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2003
its not useless as a demonstration. Also, you never answered my question on whether apple released any quartz extreme demos, especially ones similar to the longhorn ones

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
I think it was more to show the capabilities of the system the are developing more than specific applications.

I don't know if Apple released demos of QE.

AppleMatt

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
What the hell is that stupid thing on the right, a compass? It sure doesn't look like a clock. That dock looks totally useless, but what else can I expect from M$?
With all the releases in the windows family, all I ever see them doing is adding useless cosmetic crap. The default XP theme is okay, but looks too much like a kindergarten classroom. A friend said "You can turn it all off and it'll look like win2k". The point then, of upgrading to XP would be...?
Stability-wise, XP is not too shabby, but they've had enough tries by now. I have it on a crappy VAIO and it does it's job, but I would never switch back and use an M$ OS as my primary OS.

iTag

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2003
Melbourne Vic Aus
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ah ahhaahahahahahahaha omg its coming back its coming back run run run for the hills.ahahahahahah

Long what ???

Ok i admit it i was windows user sill iam i used windows 95 98 skpped straight though to windows xp home got pro at the moment because its more stable than home but just happend to work with windows me jezzz christ wtf was that tin can rubish piled do da dally wwang my 2 year old daughter could do better reset for this reset for that i had to reset just to change the display settings 3 times becasue it couldnt work out what i was doing driver support bloody hell think long horn is going to need somthing much more than better driver support try the following...... Bulid somthing that works dosnt need updating every 24 hours with 1 hour off because its got too rest up. glad i bough my g3 and soon to be g4 nope g5 not ready for you my pet..

Long horn needs looking at kicking pushed and stopmped on if anything else oh yea the nice colours are great i want somthing that will work not look nice hence linux AND Mac osx long live the Mac

Ok ive done enough here

Bluefusion

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2003
New York, NY
Originally posted by grabberslasher

2) It has a nifty feature that is hard to explain... it allows you to open the parent folder of any folder or the parent of any folder you have open. Sounds confusing...

OK, say I opened "/Users/grabberslasher/Documents".

With one click of a button in the address bar in Longhorn, I would be able to open the hard disk root, "Users" folder or the "grabberslasher" folder. And just by selecting a pull down menu I could then open the "/system" folder or "/applications", or any other folder in each level. Very hard to understand without a picture but it's all I can do. Trust me, it's very handy.

Not much innovation here.

In any OS X web browser, or in IE for OS 9, if you hold down Command and click on the window's name up top, you get a hierarchial list (based on history at the current site)... try it in Safari.

In OS 8, 9 and X, Command-clicking any window's titlebar brings up a hierarchial view of what folder it's in, and what folder that's in, etc.

To go one step further, Customize your toolbar for the Finder window, and choose the "Path" icon (first row of icons, next to Back and Forward); same feature now vaunted in Longhorn... been with us for 6 years :D

Ya learn something every day, ay?

(image on the left is via titlebar, image on right is via Path icon--both are available regardless of the view you are in.)

(edit: this feature was introduced in OS 8, not 9)

sphereboy

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2002
MIAMI.FL.USA
Boring! by the time that comes out.. it's old newz .. old technology..

windows may be the dominant force and will be successful, but they sure as hell won't make me want to switch back to them.

I switched from a longtime PC and ever since have yet to see my PC the same again. Unfortunately, my PowerBook was stolen some time ago, so i am back to my PChit at home.

Saving my pennies for a G5.

The point to my post, Screw windows. I'd rather use linux.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Any idea what Apple would have thought up by then? We are talking 2 years from now! Apple will be showing off 10.4 (errr 10.5 even??).... 2 years AGO we were thinking 10.1. Look where we are now!
WOW!
Apple has done some serious good business in 2003! Panther, G5, iTMS... too much to mention :)

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
Originally posted by Bluefusion

In OS 8, 9 and X, Command-clicking any window's titlebar brings up a hierarchial view of what folder it's in, and what folder that's in, etc.
it's been there since at least 7.5 (just had to mention that so that we can say ms will be 10 years behind). i find the saddest part of this entire fiasco (and the fiasco surround every upcoming windows release) to be the necessity of ms to do tech demos of features that will be in their software 2 years from now that are commonplace in the mac os. windows users don't know any better because they all think that the mac is just for graphics and it can't get on the internet, it's a mystical force that has never been seen, just hinted at in magazines. MR needs to sponsor a rebroadcast of some of these tech demos for upcoming windows releases where after every announced feature, a voice-over gives the date it was added to the mac os.

as far as the interface is concerned, it's an ugly copy, which all ms interfaces are, but the point is not that it's ugly, it's that ms has to keep changing the interface so that people think it's a new system. the mac os had the same interface for versions 1-7.6 (excluding the slight addition of color of course) and we all still used macs, because it was a better system.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Re: Ummm no.

Originally posted by SiliconAddict
http://www.microsoft.com/mappoint/

You find me software that is as useful as MS MapPoint coupled with GPS and you will never hear another word from me about software. Until then ROTFL.

Actually, that's a good example of quasi-mainstream software that I can't seem to find a Mac equivalent of. I went straight to delorme.com, but couldn't find Mac support.

Oh well, I'm sure it'll come.

That may work pretty good in VPC, tho.

Bluefusion

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2003
New York, NY
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
it's been there since at least 7.5 (just had to mention that so that we can say ms will be 10 years behind). i find the saddest part of this entire fiasco (and the fiasco surround every upcoming windows release) to be the necessity of ms to do tech demos of features that will be in their software 2 years from now that are commonplace in the mac os. windows users don't know any better because they all think that the mac is just for graphics and it can't get on the internet, it's a mystical force that has never been seen, just hinted at in magazines. MR needs to sponsor a rebroadcast of some of these tech demos for upcoming windows releases where after every announced feature, a voice-over gives the date it was added to the mac os.
[...........]
the mac os had the same interface for versions 1-7.6 (excluding the slight addition of color of course) and we all still used macs, because it was a better system.

Both good points, and I agree with both :) Part of the difference with the Mac is that software updates actually accomplish something useful, without resorting to "let's make a new skin for it and call it new"... case in point, 10.1, 10.2 and now 10.3... hundreds of major and minor improvements and enhancements (Panther being the most unbelievable makeover so far) with each update.

What's really new in XP? :p 2000? "increased stability". 98? Um.... "you know... stuff....".

Your $200 (or $130, in our case) update price gets you a LOT more on the Mac, and the updates are faster, too. The enhancements Apple adds with each update are incentive on their own to upgrade, while XP (and Longhorn) are only going to be bought because "new programs will need them"...

What a pathetic way to produce software.

chadfromdallas

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by Bluefusion
The enhancements Apple adds with each update are incentive on their own to upgrade, while XP (and Longhorn) are only going to be bought because "new programs will need them"...

What a pathetic way to produce software.

I had to upgrade to OSX to use my new programs....I didn't care for new features.... its exactly the same.....

Bluefusion

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2003
New York, NY
Yes, but you can't argue that OS X introduced an absolutely ridiculous AMOUNT of new features... whether you use them or not is entirely your choice, but it's not as if it doesn't have 'em... whereas something like XP really doesn't bring anything new at all, even though it was supposed to be as vaunted an upgrade as OS X (a few years late, but hey...)...

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
"new features" and "exactly the same" in the same sentence, I'd ignore it.

I agree Apple need a more aggressive marketing campaign, Switch was good, but the current Apple ads have gone back to preaching to the converted. Saying that, 50% of Apple's sales have been to switchers recently...

AppleMatt

Bluefusion

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2003
New York, NY
50%? Really? Nice.

(I've hated Switch since it debuted, for the record...)

Macrumors is going to need to change its look for Panther soon :p

Anyway, a lot could be done to improve Apple's advertising, starting with FIRING their entire current department and starting with something else, heh... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.