MS Word 2001 Help Please

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by applefan, Jun 23, 2004.

1. applefan macrumors regular

Feb 3, 2003
    No. Cal.
    I recently sold my old MS Word 2001 software on ebay. After several weeks the buyer emailed me with an issue she encountered. It's been a while since I used the app. and I've forgotten a lot, so I was a little short on suggestions. If one of you has any good suggestions I'll direct her here.

Here's the problem in her words:

"I think I stated this wrong. It is not when the program comes up that
    I see
    Word 98 but rather when I do "Save As". The drop-down menu says
    Microsoft Word 97-97 docu ...

The Title bar at "about word" says 2001.

When I emailed documents to a printer with a PC it reads it as Word
    98. I am
    concerned because I am about to switch to a PC and I have to convert
    all my
    ClarisWorks docs to Word. The clerk at the printer's said that Word 98
    about to be obsolete and they will not be able to read and print my

If you can shed any light on this it would surely help. I spoke with a
    USA store and they said that the 98 and the 2001 are different... This
    platform switch is getting complicated and scary...

Thank you."
  2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    No suggestion, but I do feel like launching into a mini tirade about Microsoft, forced upgrades, and format incompatibility (even with their own formats). I think I'll skip the tirade. My opinion on the subject is well known.

There are many formats to pick from when saving in Word. Leave it to someone who asks an Ebay seller for tech support to miss something obvious like a drop-down menu.
  3. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Look, Word 97 through Word 2004 all have the same format. That clerk at the printers has it all backwards, if not just plain wrong. Certainly Mac versions of Word can read documents created by any previous version. There was an issue between Word 97 for Windows and Word 95 for Windows. However, if you submit a Word 98 document to someone using Word 2008, you should expect them to read the document just fine. If you get a Word 2008 document from a friend, you may not be able to read it with Word 98. However, that is of no concern in this situation.
  4. radhak macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2003
    NJ, USA
    tell her not to panic. for whatever reason the default 'save as' format seems to have been set to 'Word 97'. Ask her to use the scroll bar on the 'Save as Type' drop-down and scroll up till she sees 'Word Document (*.doc)' as the option, select it, then click OK. It saves in 2001 format.

And while you talking to her, also tell her that MS Word is backward compatible, meaning later versions of Word (Word 2001, say) can read older version (like Word 97) without any problems.