MS Word and Resumes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by matt18012, Mar 7, 2005.

1. matt18012 macrumors member

Hello,

I'm a recent switcher with a somewhat silly quesion:

where is the resume template is MS Word. I cannot find it in the mac version.

Thanks for the help!

2. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

Hey man, there isn't a pre-installed Resume template... you gotta download it from here... good luck man, that's where i got mine from... Then you need to put the downloaded tempaltes in the Microsoft Office 2004 -> Templates -> Where ever you want them

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's really interesting. Office.X came pre-installed with four resume templates, in the template folder and accessible through the project gallery -- under the home & essentials category. I wonder why they didn't include them in 2004....

4. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Truth is, if you use a template, it makes you look like you can't be creative. Take a template, fill it out, then change some of the ways it looks so it looks more original.

5. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

Yeh, 2004 does come with some really nice Financial tools (budget templates and things like that in both excel and word versions) in the home / essentials folder, but there is nothing about resumes. I had to download my own and like someone said above, edit it to be a little more creative. I don't know why they di it like that, but i don't really know the difference in office.X and 2004...

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Probably so some angry noob somewhere can start a thread with the subject, "OMG!!!111 MACS SUK SO B@D, U CANT EVEN MAKE A RESUMAY IN WURD!!!11111oneoneoneone" :D

I heard that something similar happened with Keynote between 1 and 2, though, where a bunch of templates were dropped, and you only continued to have them if you upgraded over your Keynote 1 copy.

I should really get Office 04, but after buying my .X under site license at my previous university, I'm so loathe to buy it at the standard educational price. Whine whine. :rolleyes:

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

8. kidA macrumors regular

as someone who has participated in hiring and looked at resumes before, please do not use a microsoft resume template. they're so bad. so so bad.

things that ms resume templates do that you should absolutely never ever do in a resume:

-use more than one font (never do this)

-use more than one font size in the body of the resume (it's good to use larger text for your name, smaller for contact info, but everything else should be 10 or 12 pt., not 10 and 12. 10 or 12).

-liberal use of bold and italics (bold your categories on the left: experience, education, etc..., but nothing else, don't use italics unless you're listing a book you wrote) the problem with different fonts and font sizes and bolds/italics is that they make it difficult to scan quickly.

-they often put the dates first! put your position first, followed by where you worked, with the date very last. you've got to put when you were someplace, but the most important thing is that your potential employer see what you did, not when you did it.

potential employers don't spend much time on each resume. they scan for maybe 10-15 seconds and best and move on. make it clean and simple.