MS Word Help for Mac OS X-Why Does It Quit?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by QueenoftheAbyss, May 13, 2004.

1. QueenoftheAbyss macrumors newbie

I just got Microsoft Office for Mac OS X on my1-week-old 1GHz iBook G4.

I installed it, but when I opened Word and went to type something, I only got one character (even just a space) out and the program quit on me. :confused: I then got a message box saying that Word unexpectedly quit but the files and everything were not affected.

If someone can help me figure this out, I'd really appreciate it.

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Try repairing the permissions, not sure if that will help but it is something I would do

Also this is just Word that is having this problem right?

3. qedigital macrumors newbie

Unstable!

I too have frustrated myself greatly with Word and have since moved on to Tex whenever I can. I found that it got most unstable when inserting images into the document and the best workaround was to insert a link to the file rather than the file itself. This method also kept Word from bogging down somewhat. But if all else fails, there's the tried and true method of dealing with it:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

upgrade you office to version 10.1.5 and it should work nicely. everything before that crashed a lot. the latest version is also a lot faster than before, which is not so microsoftish ;)

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Word is by far the crashiest thing running on my Mac. There are numerous updates. If you don't have them, get them at mactopia.com. Also repair permissions (standard voodoo when you have a problem) and/or trash preferences. That will make it as good as it can be.

6. encro macrumors 6502

encro

Haha,

I do that to red traffic lights also :)

7. QueenoftheAbyss thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, thank you everyone. I will try the upgrade right away.

And to Qedigital: I LOVED your pics! In fact, I did that several times last night
    :D

8. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

I have certainly tested that method :D

9. QueenoftheAbyss thread starter macrumors newbie

So I tried the updates listed in Mactopia for office. They downloaded just fine but I keep getting the message that an error occurred and the update cannot be completed. The error message # is 11002:2,-15

As far as dealing with it goes, I could do that but I can't use Word at all. All it takes is one character and the program quits.

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    get word or the whole office suite and dump it and just recopy onto the hard drive, run a search for all suite prefs, dump that

then copy it fresh onto ur hd

repaire permissions then rune the updates

11. QueenoftheAbyss thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay ... I dumped everything I could find and re-installed the MS Office X. The problems is ... I'm not sure what you mean by "repair permissions".

I'm new to the world of Mac ... and I don't understand how or where these permissions can be repaired.

I appreciate all the help you have been giving me so far ... so please bear with me a little longer until I get this all sorted out.

12. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

open the app "Disk Utility" in the Utilities folder inside your Applications folder. Select your drive in the left pane, and there should be an option to "Repair Disk Permissions". That will take a few mintues to run, then see what happens.

Good luck!

13. QueenoftheAbyss thread starter macrumors newbie

I pretty much give up.

I've tried repairing permissions, uninstalling, reinstalling, and re-downloading the updates again and I keep getting the same errors.

Another shoddy MS product, I guess. :(

14. 7on macrumors 601

7on

search your drive for file names with "microsoft" in them. Then delete them.