MS Word?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eclipse525, Jan 31, 2005.

1. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

I use Word rarely but last time I did it seem fairly quick and responsive. I just started using it again recently and for whatever reason, it's SLOW as molasses. Everytime I do some(highlight, type a new word) I get the spinning beach-ball for about 5-10seconds and then it allows me to do what I was trying to do. Anybody have ideas as to why Word is VERY slow? I'm using Word v. 11.1

Thanks
    ~e

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are using Word 2004...

... on which computer?

3. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

My first thought would be memory. How is your computer equipped with RAM? Check the system requirements of Word and see if your computer is up to par. If so, try the ol' trusty standbys of reparing permissions and zapping PRAM. If none of that works, I say run outside screaming like a mad lunatic. Won't solve your problem but it's always fun.

4. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

I like your style... I've done the screaming thing a few times....<LOL>

I'm running Word on a iMac 17" FP with 1gig of RAM. My requirements more than exceed Word. For Gods sake, Photoshop, Flash and Maya run faster than Word. At first I thought that it might be a font issue but I've load the minimum amount of fonts and still nothing. I've also run OnyX, thinking a little system maintanence might help. NOPE. I'm coming to the conclusion that it just SUCKS. Is it me or does everyone else have a good working copy?<LOL>

~e

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Must do that in the nude. Otherwise you are just a 'lunatic' and not a 'mad lunatic' or, for the 'crazy freak' status and maybe even 'Call the men with the white jacket and van with padded sides' you need to light your hair on fire.

Right.

Repair Permissions is #1. I run Word v.X and its fine on a Rev. C 12" PowerBook G4 w/ 768MB of RAM.

6. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Look under the "View" button, and make sure that 'Normal' is selected. If you've got "Page Layout," it slows things down. Way down.

7. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Changing the view from pagelayout to normal, did help a little. Thanks for that tip.

~e

8. ewann macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem- Word is SLOW!

I'm running Word 2004 on my new 20" iMac G5 with 512 MB RAM and I have the same problem. In Page Layout view, scrolling is very choppy. I still have my PC (2.4 GHz P4 w/1GB) set up next to the iMac, and the same document scrolls very smoothly on it, even in page layout view. I guess this is simply Micro$oft's poor coding for the Mac? A $2200 computer just shouldn't be this slow. Activity Monitor does indicate that the CPU gets maxed out with this scrolling.

Even the simple game "Snood" maxes out the CPU, so I'm not totally sure what's going on.

The xbench benchmark program shows that my system is running as fast as anyone else's.

I did adjust the power properties so that the CPU is running at full speed rather than in power-saving "automatic" mode. That definitely helped. At least iTunes now scrolls smoothly. Unchecking the "spin down hard drive when possible" box helped with application launches.

I'm a 6-day Mac newbie, so any advice would be great!

Thanks

Jeff

9. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

I've been using Office 2004 for a while an I find it to be pretty fast, actually. Certainly faster than Pages :(. And I'm running it on an iBook 1.2GHz G4. You probably don't want to do this but whenever I have unexplainable problems like this I just reinstall the operating system. That always seems to do the trick, and is not even that time consuming since I keep all my documents, music, and photos on a separate partition.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

BTW

There is a service pack (updater) for Office 2004 right here.

11. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

I'm a little leery of using this updater.... especially from MS. <LOL> Have you used it? If so, what was the procedure? Was it a simple up date and you relaunch your Word? Sorry for the paranoia.

~e

12. ewann macrumors newbie

thanks folks

Given that the machine is basically brand new, I'm not too keen on reinstalling the OS right away. That is, after all, why I dumped Windows! For regular text documents, Word seems plenty fast enough. It's when other stuff starts getting added that it bogs down compared to the XP machine. I suppose I can chalk it up to more optimization of the Windows release. I'm sure the Mac BU is not as big as the Windows BU at MSFT!

Thanks again