Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asqy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Australia
How does Ms Word work on your apple?

do you experience lag or any other nasties on your machine?

oh and can you tell me what machine you run

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
A little bit of typing lag and that's it. It runs really well IMO. Interestingly, I can't see any performance differences between my 800MHz G4 iBook and my new 1.8GHz G5 iMac.

asqy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Australia
mad jew said:
A little bit of typing lag and that's it. It runs really well IMO. Interestingly, I can't see any performance differences between my 800MHz G4 iBook and my new 1.8GHz G5 iMac.

the typing lag gives me the horrors :\

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
sometimes it feels like typing on a daisywheel typewriter :eek::eek: like when i was writing my EOY portfolio project for school, but other times its just fine. i don't use it much since textedit's often enough. powerpoint's a dog though

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
I hate that occasional lag so for something basic like an essay, I type the paper in a text editor (SubEthaEdit for me) and paste it into Word when I'm done so I can do some formatting.

OT: asqy, try not to called the computer itself apple. The company that makes it is Apple. The computer itself is a Mac. So the question is how well MS Word works on everybody's Macs.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
Runs fine on my 1.2 Ghz iBook. The mac version is probably better than the windoze version. :eek:

But it's still Word, which I hate. Don't know why, but I just never got the knack of it. Very counter-intuitive, imo. And it's only a word processor for font sake. Photoshop is more intuitive. End rant.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
i find it fine and i type pretty quickly.

i think its widely accepted that the mac version is better than the windows one.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
I don't really see any lag in typing unless I have loads of programs open, in turns of the program it works fast, quite happy with it. I have started to use Pages a lot more for the basic essays and get no lag at all.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
russed said:
i find it fine and i type pretty quickly.

i think its widely accepted that the mac version is better than the windows one.

a) Love your Av.

b) I use MS Word and MS Excel most of the day at work and I’ve got to say that there are features in MS Word 2002 that I miss from the Mac version just as there are features in the Mac version I’d like to have and I’m sure will be in the next Windows release.

Unfortunately I can’t use the Mac version of Word as I’d simply be driven mad by the typing lag and beach-balling. I don’t think I could out-type a secretary but I’ve had times when I’ll be typing away, look up at the screen (I don’t touch-type) and only see the first few letters of the two lines I’ve typed with a beach-ball and a couple of seconds pause before the rest of the text appears.

I find spell checking on the fly is painful as well.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
mcarnes said:
Runs fine on my 1.2 Ghz iBook. The mac version is probably better than the windoze version. :eek:
Yes, it can be laggy on both platforms. Word on Windows has more of a jerky hurry-up-and-wait kind of visual response, while the Mac version seems to be a smoother kind of tardiness :D I find the Windows flavor of the lag more distracting, but that's just me.
But it's still Word, which I hate. Don't know why, but I just never got the knack of it. Very counter-intuitive, imo. And it's only a word processor for font sake. Photoshop is more intuitive. End rant.
Yep, but i've gone through too many "Word compatible" programs over the years that produced malformed documents when opened on the real thing, or that couldn't properly read real Word docs, to worry much about that any more.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
iMeowbot said:
Yes, it can be laggy on both platforms. Word on Windows has more of a jerky hurry-up-and-wait kind of visual response, while the Mac version seems to be a smoother kind of tardiness :D I find the Windows flavor of the lag more distracting, but that's just me....

I'd say it is just you 'cause I've been using word on Windows since I had a 25mhz Compaq and it never lagged like it does on my 1.8Ghz iMac. It's got to be the number 1 disappointment since I've owned a Mac.

asqy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Australia
My Windows machine has zero lag on word :\ p4 1.9

However the 1ghtz 640 mb ram emacs at uni word is hangy and laggy. Like typing at a decent speed and it will lag.

It is very annoying :\

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I experience the lag all the time on my 1.33 GHz iBook with v.X -- about the same as my 400 MHz TiBook. Drives me nuts. Bizarre things seem to affect it. Quartz smoothing ON seems to reduce it. So does Page Layout view. Worst is Normal view with smoothing off and spell/grammar check on.

jkeithh

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2002
mcarnes said:

I have to agree. I use the Windows version at work and I much prefer the Mac version that I get to use at home.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
asqy said:
i dont doubt that the mac version is very nice ...

but does the thing lag or what
I respect the experiences of others. However, I have no lag at all.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
It can lag, but not all the time. Larger documents seem to get it more.
Just finished a 11000 word masters on my G3 500 284MB RAM on Word 2004 and all fine.
Lagged sometimes, but not for more than a couple of seconds at more. Lagged maybe 1/100th of the time or less.

Prefer it to Windows versions.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
It lags once and a while on the Quicksilver in my sig, but only if I have like iChat, Adium, Mail, etc. all open at the same time. I just usually type things in TextEdit unless I need the features in Word.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Reading through this thread we’ve got people with Word v.X and 2004 and a range of machines from G3’s to G5’s yet there isn’t an obvious pattern to who’s lagging and who’s not. What gives when v.X is as slow on my G5 as on my G3 and 2004 isn’t much better yet the Windows version by comparison flies on a 400mhz Celeron and Win98?

enoch

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2005
One thing might be to turn off auto word count. Doesn't that take up a lot of RAM?

asqy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Australia
i do note that the ancient imacs (500mhz) with word 98 or something are perfect and lag free...weird...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.