MS Word

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wojofm1, Dec 21, 2006.

1. wojofm1 macrumors newbie

I just bought a c2d macbook pro with 2g ram. (wooo!) and i have a question. I am an x pc user so, naturally I am used to using MS word. I was just wondering if there was a way to get it on my mbp without actually having to buy it.

Cheers

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. vferrari macrumors newbie

Without paying you can't since that's illegal. But if you're used to M$ Office, try NeoOffice which is free:

http://www.neooffice.org/

_VF

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I use ABiWord Very nice Freeware Program, reads almost all kinds of text formats, I use it all the time.

(Download for Mac is in the middle of the page)

5. skybolt macrumors 6502a

I second the vote for NeoOffice. Looks much like Word, and works great.

6. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

MS Office 2004 if you want the legit version that will be compatible with most (its like $99 for student/teacher version), Abiword if all you need is microsoft word, and Neooffice if you want a whole office suite.

7. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

I agree that NeoOffice is a good Word substitute (not that good of an Office sub. though).

Do you [legally] own a copy of Office/Word for the PC? If so, you can use CrossOver to run it on your Intel Mac. I use this with OfficeXP, works great.

8. williamh macrumors regular

I'm using ThinkFree Office. But I still prefer iWork, Page and Keynote are more advanced than M$ stuff~

The downside of iWork is that it's not supporting excel file :mad:

9. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Advanced? I guess... if you call not supporting tracking changes, for instance, an advanced feature. This is, by the way, one major reason why I am sticking with the "relic" Word instead of the "advanced" Pages.
    Maybe the Pages will implement tracking changes in one of the upcoming iterations, hopefully before I reach the "advanced" age :D .

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

;)

MS Office 2004 is very nice to me. Just pay for it and get over it.

11. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Yeah, I second the recommendation for just buying Office. I hate Microsoft as much as the next Mac user, but really, MS Office 2004 is a good product. I use it all the time. NeoOffice is good for a free, community-produced package, but it just doesn't stack up to MS Office in my opinion.