msconfig 4 mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Pr0jkt, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Pr0jkt macrumors regular

Hey all,

my mbp is starting up really really slow, and i know in windows you can go start<run>msconfig>startup. And you can pick and choose what apps you want to start up when the computer starts.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's much simpler in OSX. You can check the Login Items section of the Accounts pane of System references for your own personal account's startup apps and you can also check a folder named StartupItems in the hard drive's Library for the system's startup apps.

However, if your computer is running slowly then check Activity Monitor (like Task Manager) in the Utilities folder. Set it to see All Processes and check whether anything is using up more resources than it should be. In addition, make sure you have plenty of free space on your hard drive. :)

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And check that you have enough RAM, if you only have 512MB it probably isn't enough, if you use the computer normally for about 20 minutes and get over 2000 page out's in 20 minutes then you have too little RAM, you find this in Applications==>Utilities==>Activity Monitor==>System Memory, if it's not a major issue i'd wait for the prce to drop as it's really really high atm.

4. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

Speaking of 512, wonder where the same reading is in Windows task manager. As I don't see... unless its paged and non paged which both have xxxxx numbers for a 512 system and a 2gig system.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think it's labelled Physical Memory (K) in the Performance tab, and as the name suggests, it's displayed in kilobytes rather than megabytes. It won't be a nice round number. :)

6. haring macrumors member

I had a bunch of them running I didn't really needed... Thanks a lot!!!