msconfig for 2k?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by firewire2001, Jun 16, 2002.

1. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

hey.. i have yet another peecee question.. i didnt know where to put it.. so i decided to put it here...

so in windows theres all sorts of crap that starts up when you login - and in windows 98 there was a program called msconfig for altering the startup items, but in 2000, i havent been able to find a program thats equivelent to this..

thanks a lot in advance..

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

First place for startup items is in your 'Startup' folder in your start menu of course, the second, and not so widley known, is here...

Start > Run > regedit

HKLM > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Run

In there you will find all thoses things that seem to mysteriously kick in when you login.

3. firewire2001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah.. i know bout the start menu stufferz... but thanks bout the regedit stuff.. there are a lotta apps that run like roxio directcd at startup that arent listed in the start menu...

thanks again..

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It’s surprising what gets put in the ‘run’ key of your registry when you install appz, drives me mad, I hate in when an app forces itself upon me when I log in. :mad:

5. firewire2001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah.. totally..

i think its way messed all this crap these pc guys put on yer system..

it is a very rare occassion on a mac where youll find an app thatll install lots of crud and mess around with yer system and startup prefs..

i remember a while ago when radioshack was gonna port their qCat to mac -- it was a cheap barcode scanner that would allow you to scan items and get info on it -- and it installed tonnnns of crud in addition to basically being spyware. in short, so many mac ppl were against it and all that they jus abondoned the project cause they realized installing spyware and crap on mac systems with mac users was a bad idea because there are so many apps that dont do that sorta thing to mac... kinda a different subject.. but ineteresting..