MSDN Members - Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by greatdevourer, Apr 8, 2006.

1. macrumors 68000

I would love to try Vista on a Mac, but due to budget constraints, I have no hope of affording one for a long while, so can someone else with a copy of Vista test it and check benchmarks?

2. macrumors 68040

maya

Is this really important, especially when its not even released to the general public. So when did speed/benchmarks over take security and performance. :rolleyes:

Hey it runs fast, however there is no security whatsoever. :rolleyes:

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

Sheesh, sorry for asking. I'll know not to post when you're online... should stop me getting my head bitten off...

4. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I have the latest Vista build, and I cannot get it to install with boot camp. I tried with Parralles too, and it would not work there either.

5. macrumors 601

ITASOR

You could always install XP and run Vista in VMWare couldn't you? Just like to see how it works...

6. thread starter macrumors 68000

Cheers. I wonder why, because apparently Ubuntu installs just fine :confused:

EDIT: http://theweeklyrant.com/article/8/news-apple-bootcamp-boots-linux - link to Ubuntu screens

7. macrumors 6502

bugfaceuk

Yeah don't worry until we can all use it... and I bet 2008 rolls round real quick too...

8. thread starter macrumors 68000

9. macrumors 604

clayj

I'll add confirmation to this: Vista does NOT run in Boot Camp Beta (you can't even get through the installation process), and while I haven't tried Parallels' software, I can't imagine it working.

10. thread starter macrumors 68000

Read the post above you. It works. However, for dual-boot, it requires you to remove the EFI partition (some guy claims he did it). However, something somewhere starts throwing a hissy-fit

11. macrumors 604

clayj

Yeah, I don't consider "hacks" to be in the same ballpark as "working". It's one thing to perform a series of installations and configuration changes to persuade a piece of software to install (for example, the trick of using an external CD drive to install WXP MCE)... but messing with your partitions (aside from allowing Boot Camp to do it) is bad juju.