MSN 7 Beta? (pic)

Discussion in 'Macworld San Francisco 2008' started by TIGOS, Jan 26, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

TIGOS

2. macrumors 68020

Wow MS starting to suport Mac again:D

3. macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Interesting but too bad I will not use it. Over the years I have pushed my friends to use AIM + iChat.

4. macrumors 65816

juanm

I don't like the idea of putting the display on a Mini. If they had the exact same footprint, I'd like it, but it's not the case.
    Anyway, nice to have an up to date Messenger. I don't like having to say to my switcher friends that they have to use Adium because Messenger for Mac is too old (people use it a lot in France and Spain)

5. macrumors 65816

cbrain

A new version of Messenger is good news for me. All my friends use Messenger on Windows and I would like to be able to use features such as Webcam and Voice Notes with them.

I agree with Juan Moro. Putting a display on top of a Mini is a bad idea in my opinion.

6. macrumors member

Looking forward to this.. Just hope they don't add the bloat the windows version has.. All my friends use MSN so I'm forced to use it too :(

7. Retired

psychofreak

Hopefully it won't be long until I can delete Mercury for this...Adium will still be my first choice though...

8. macrumors 68020

Willis

Hmm, doesnt seem too different from the version running now.

I use MSN primarily and being able to not explain to others that I have a Mac, I cant do that... is a joy in itself.

9. macrumors 65816

fluidedge

doesn't look any different to me.

And why oh why are they persisiting on using that bloody great big button for 'send' - who actually clicks send rather than hits the enter key?

10. macrumors 603

netdog

When can we trash try the beta?

11. macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

I don't like the positioning of the webcam there. The windows version replaces the display picture with the webcam feed. I hope they tweak it a bit to do that as it just seems most logical and space saving that way.

I hope they fix the display picture thing also. In the version I'm using now it doesn't load peoples display pictures most of the time.

I use MSN also simply because everyone else I chat with use it.

12. macrumors 68000

lofight

I hope they make the AV good.. but i prefer adium with AV

13. macrumors 6502

But quite appropriate for how moronic microsoft is.

14. macrumors regular

BioChron

The only reason I would ever want to used MSN messenger on a Mac is for video or audio chat. Really, Adium or similar programs are better.

15. macrumors regular

Yes, I'm sure that NOBODY else but Microsoft has ever put an Apple Display on top of the Mac mini. Puhleeze.

16. macrumors newbie

Who cares about the display on top of the Mac mini, is not the point of the post to talk about MSN 7 Beta? :rolleyes:

-

17. macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Quite right, yet some people feel the need to bash Microsoft at every available opportunity. Did I miss the announcement where it was officially declared that every single problem in this world is Microsoft's fault? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, people are debating / losing sleep over the idea of an ACD being put on top of a Mac Mini?! :eek:

As for MSN 7, I think Adium is an excellent, well designed program but if MSN can offer video I'd use it. And like many people here the vast majority of my friends use MSN so it's annoying this feature has been Windows only for so long. Let's hope MSN 7 can compete more closely with Adium.

18. macrumors newbie

Can you use MSN 7 in VMWare Fusion/Parallels with successful webcam support? I'm in the move for an updated MBP once it's available (currently windows user). It would be too complex to install Fusion just for one chat program, but I'll be using it also for other windows-only applications. Is there anyone here who runs MSN 7 through Fusion/Parellels?

19. macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

You can always use aMSN in Mac OS if you want webcam support. Also, although I haven't personally tried MSN with it, in Fusion there's a menu option that allows you to use the built in iSight camera. (Virtual Machine -> USB -> Connect built-in iSight).

On a sidenote, I think Fusion is a great program. I used it soley to listen to songs from my Napster subscription and it worked a treat, but if Apple offered subscription music in iTunes I'd never have to use Windows again ...

20. macrumors 68000

When it becomes available I hope it is stable!! Cos all the other apps (Mercury and aMSN) are certainly not!

21. macrumors newbie

OK thank you! :) Yes, I'm familiar with aMSN when I was experimenting with Linux over the past few years, but it has a few flaws and although it has some expansions and plug-ins, I miss the opportunity to install msgplus (for chat logs, don't know if messenger:mac has them standard built-in). But it's nice to know that Fusion has an option for the iSight camera :cool:

Yep, I already heard some very positive things about Fusion. Although my university offers pretty much all academic programs I need via a Citrix framework, it often is (at least in windows) quite laggy so I prefer to install the programs myself, which justifies my need for Fusion for some of them.

22. Retired

psychofreak

It does, along with Mercury and Adium :)

23. macrumors regular

cecemf

24. macrumors 68000

lofight

kind of logitech probably..

25. macrumors member

mail4asim

Seems like they are using Logitech Ultra vision

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GP4G1I/ref=dp_cp_ob_title_3

I got it a few months ago with a 60 dollar MIR. Keep checking sites like slickdeals.net and find a good deal on it. Logitech rebates are very reliable and this camera works like a charm.