MSN and Parallels/Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hush, Sep 29, 2006.

1. hush macrumors member

Hi chaps,
    well, I am planning on switching from pc to mac and waiting for a MBP C2D, but since I've been doing some research I noticed that there's still no way to keep in contact with MSN users comfortably (I mean, I won't be able to do file transfers, videochats, etcetera).

My question is... Would MSN Messenger work fine on Windows using Parallels or Bootcamp?

Thanks a lot for your help.
    Cheers.

2. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

MSN should, I believe, work fine under Boot Camp since later versions of the Boot Camp software have finally gotten the iSight webcam to work. No chance under Parallels, unfortunately, and the Messenger:mac version with video support sounds like it's still a way away due to the Windows version merging protocols.

3. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Msn does work fine under bootcamp with the iSight, I use it myself. haven't tried parallels

4. hush thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much Kelmon and Osarkon!!!

Actually I would prefer msn running on Parallels, since i dont want to use Windows too much, just from time to time and when I really need it. IMO the problem about Bootcamp is that... probably you'll be on Windows all the time cause it's a pain in the neck to reboot constantly.

so, keep asking: Has anyone tried MSN on Parallels???

Thanks.

5. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

While a definitive confirmation should still be sought, I'm 99.99% certain that MSN with video won't work under Parallels because Parallels is only "simulating" a rather basic computer to the guest OS (i.e. Windows) so it doesn't support things like accelerated video and other features that your hardware provides. Given this I would be surprised, particularly given the length of time that it took for Boot Camp to support iSights, for Parallels to provide the support that you are looking for.

All this said, I note a previous thread on the same subject where aMSN was recommended - MSN natively under OS X and it includes webcam support and file transfers. Maybe this is what you need, although it hasn't been updated for a while.

6. hush thread starter macrumors member

Hey!! thanks dude! this aMSN seems to be fine, although you're right, it has not being updated for a long time, probably there must be any problems (or maybe it just work on PPCs?).

Thank you anyway, people here is so supportive with newbies like me :)

7. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

On the aMSN subject, their project forum has a page posting a Release Candidate of a Universal version that you can use on a new Mac. Since it's not a full release the software may well have some bugs in it but you should have more confidence with this than with a beta version. Regardless, by virtue that this thread is active it looks like the project itself is still active and you can expect updates.

8. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Mercury is a better option for some. It supports nudges, winks, all that stuff, including video. not sure about sound. Slightly buggy at times (it crashes on occasion with me when someone says something) but works alright. I prefer it to aMSN anyway.