MSN file sharing probs - please help!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Pure_Chaos, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Pure_Chaos macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I've constantly experienced file-sharing problems with mac msn v.3.5; I can never send or receive files. I've always thought that the problem was an error in v.3.5, but I have just upgraded to 4.0 and am still unable to transfer files. I'm using a powerbook G4 with Panther OS. Has anyone seen the likes of this before?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. abc123 macrumors 6502

if both you and the person you are sending to are behind a firewall it won't work.
    my brother is a computer freak and i whine to him constantly to find a way to get past it but he claims that he can't possibly do it, maybe he is just lazy, i don't know. it works fine using msn for windows

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    its most likely a firewall issue; in uni i cant transfer files but now that im back home i can transfer files without any problems

4. Pure_Chaos thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, firewall was my first thought, but the thing is, I don't think I'm behind one...I mean a firewall is additional software, yes? And the thing is I can't send files to ANYONE at all...it's not irregular or anything, where it sometimes works - it NEVER works. I figured it must be some kind of setting at my end...

5. abc123 macrumors 6502

maybe there is something under system preferences: sharing that can help you at least some of the time.

have a look, i don't know if it will help but it is worth a try

6. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

you are behind a firewall, mac os x, has it built in. go to the system prefs>sharing>firewall, click new, in the list of names, chose MSN MEssenger. click ok.

that unblocks the ports which the MSN daemon uses for file sharing.

aethier

7. Pure_Chaos thread starter macrumors newbie

Legend!

Sorry about the lack of response, I've been in NZ for the last couple of weeks, only just got back!
    It WORKED I can't believe it! Aethier will you marry me?? lol
    Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread... :D