MSN For Mac OS X With Video!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by haiggy, Jan 8, 2005.

1. haiggy macrumors 65816

Hey guys, not sure if anyone has seen this before -- and if I am the first I will be surprised.

A while ago I was trying to find a program that used webcam with MSN. I went to macupdate.com I believe and just found an MSN alternative. So, I downloaded it and tried it. I saw a webcam feature, but it said it was currently being worked on.

So, I went to the website of this program called "Mercury MSN" (formerly dMSN?) located at www.mercury.to and the guys says he got webcam to work on Linux and he is now working on a Mac OS X version. So, as soon as it is released... there is all of your solutions for your MSN Webcam conversations.

For me, the program runs generally pretty slow, but I'm not sure why. I believe it is a java based program (but I have very little knowledge of programming) Maybe it will be tweaked, or maybe it's just my computer. All I know is that if I can see my friends on MSN, GREAT! It is still faster than VPC with webcam.

Just thought I'd share that with you guys. Seems like a never ending question from switchers, and just mac user in general :)

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

great news, I always have msn friends that want video and I can't deliver.

3. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, me too. That is why I could care less of how fast the program runs. :)
    I hate having to use iChat and talk on MSN, although the full screen feature is nice -- and don't get me wrong, I love iChat and it's video. But... of all the people I want to use webcam with, one has an AIM account (atleast it's my girlfriend :D). People are too lazy to make an AIM account and download it just so they can see me. :rolleyes:

4. mattroberts macrumors regular

mattroberts

Sweet! thanks for the link!

I've been looking for something like this and hadn't run into it yet.

cheers

5. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Sounds good

Too bad it takes a 3rd party to sort this out rather then MS doing it themselfs

6. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Good find, I look forward to similar technology being put into Adium.

Java is why the program is slow. Java starts its own 'virtual machine' when it starts the program which makes it run slower but on the plus side this way of working makes the code cross-platform. This is why it will be relatively easy for them to port it to Mac OS.

7. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

I too can't wait until this is put into Adium, just because that is what I use now and I love it -- so customizeable. Aswell I'm sure the video would be faster than the 'java' program.

8. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Quite true. :)

I still cannot believe that AdiumX has not gotten audio yet. :(

9. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

They might have been able to code it themselves but they are sticking with their gaim roots and waiting for these people to finish it.

http://gaim-vv.sourceforge.net/

10. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Good to know, hopefully gaim-vv speeds development on the audio aspect at least. :)

11. Cookiee!! macrumors newbie

I have another solution!

Hey guys,
    I have a mac ox and i have found a messaging service that has webcam and can run on mac ox for the time being for the new one to come out!

It is called amsn and you can do everything apart from video calling, but all the rest like webcam using, nudges, emoticons and more...

Hope it helps :):D

12. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Hi, welcome to the board, but it's not necessary to bump a 4 year old thread. Everyone already knows about aMSN, Mercury and the other clients that run MSN.

13. unkn0wn macrumors newbie

MSN for Mac?

Hi guys,

I just bought a Macbook and don't know which program to use as a replacement for MSN? What do you recommend?

Thank you :)

14. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

I recommend Adium

if you need video/voice there is aMSN

and lastly Welcome to the Macintosh world

15. dam0dred macrumors regular

dam0dred

Use Adium, install aMSN if you need the occasional video chat.

aMSN also allows you to record the video chat sessions, in case there was something good you'd like to watch again, FYI. :cool:

16. MrSt0nEd macrumors newbie

great news!

now lets hope they work on a Sopcast version for Mac.. :(