MSN for mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macadd1ct, Jan 21, 2007.

1. macadd1ct macrumors member

i have been using MSN 6.0.1 for mac and i've found it to be very unstable.
    It takes several 'retries' to log in.. (but I don't have to reenter my passwords..) when I go to change my profile pic it freezes then quits and when I go to choose a smiley it takes a long time, with the rainbow wheel apprearing..
    Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing similar problems?
    Regards

2. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Msn for Mac or "Microsoft Messenger" isn't a very stable app if you plan to use msn. I reccomend Adium. It's very customiseable and easier to use (IMO) but doesn't support some msn features, such as custom emoticons. (The newst Beta can recieve them but can't send them)

But if you really want to use an msn program closer to the windows and with more features you could try Mercury Messenger or aMsn but I myself haven't used these before. aMsn allows for video conferencing and they both support custom emoticons. (I think)

Oh and to answer your question, I do SOMETIMES experience your problems, but that's only when I choose to use the program. (Which isn't very much) ;)

3. macadd1ct thread starter macrumors member

wow, you're a fountain of knowledge.. i didnt know i had so many optins :)
    thanks so much!!

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The current version of Microsoft Messenger:Mac is very stable on my system (not a beta, there are no current beta versions of Messenger:Mac). Version 6.0.1 allows you to send and receive custom emoticons but still doesn't support video/audio chat - that's coming in version 7 which I presume will lob around the time Office:Mac 2008 comes out later this year.

I have no problems with Messenger:Mac 6.0.1

5. macadd1ct thread starter macrumors member

hmm..
    lucky you.. i do have the custom emoticon option.. but having the problems i mentioned before can be a pain.. the only way i can change my profile pic is to drag and drop onto the pic window..
    i have OS10.4.8 on my mac..
    will certainy have a look at some of the other options until the new versions rears its head :)
    THANKS

6. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I'm having some connection issues with the latest MSN for Mac. But I much prefer the interface over Adium and all the others so I will stick with it for now. I don't use messenging that much any more anyway.

7. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Another thing that bothers me is that I can't make custom emoticons. It always says that the format is unsupported (either a gif or a jpeg) :confused:

8. angelno21 macrumors newbie

hiii

i need some help to regarding this msn for mac im using Microsoft Messenger for Mac version 6.0.1 i wanted to know how are you able to delete email addresses from the drop down menu when you sign in cause alot of people have signed in using my mac and the list is so long and its time consuming having to go through the list to find the right email add and i would also like to delete them because this is against everyones privacy please help.

:(

9. macadd1ct thread starter macrumors member

yes, i have that issue too

10. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Did you just become a Microsoft employee?

You'll have to delete them the usual way, although you might be able to create a new group, put those in the group that you don't want, and when finished, delete the group.

Try it with a few to see if it works.

12. angelno21 macrumors newbie

hii i gues u did not understand what i mean, i want to delete email addresses from the drop down menu where u enter your email and password to sign into messenger, i did not mean deleting ppl from my list thats fine i can do that.

13. angelno21 macrumors newbie

their is also another thing i wanted to know, when you block and delete someone from ur list it is still viewable in the block list in the privacy section how are you able to delete the people from their, i was able to do a few but not all of them gives u the option?

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I guess I didn't. I don't know of any way to delete those. I tried to take a look buy MS Messenger was being a pain and I just ended up quitting it again.

It's no wonder I use Mercury Messenger.

15. angelno21 macrumors newbie

its ok its just that i know u are able to do it i think i did it once in pc lolz i cant remem but its diff in mac ive tried searchin through google but cant find anything anyways if anyone else could help it would be great