MSN IM client with WebCam Support

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by derekmcwilliams, Oct 25, 2004.

1. derekmcwilliams macrumors newbie

Hello guys.

Does anyone know of a MSN messaging client that supports webcams? I would love to have that, but Ive failed miserably in finding something.

Thanks,
    Derrick

2. iBert macrumors regular

iBert

I'm not sure that their is a client for MSN with Video in it.
    Do you really need MSN? I also have a lot of my friends in MSN, but does that I plan to use Video Chat have aim, which you can use iChat with. Way better than MSN. I'll be turning my parents away from MSN into AIM.

Hope you find the client your looking for. Sorry, that this doesn't help.

3. atomiton macrumors regular

I've used AIM... sorry to say this, but MSN has got one of the cleanest, simplest interfaces out there (available for PC, that is)

It's one of the few MS products that isn't overbloated.

4. iBert macrumors regular

iBert

Won't argue with you about that. I've been using MSN for maybe 6 years now. It's the only MS software that I like. But, the only complain I'll have is the incompatability with Mac. If I remember on PC it's ok to use audio and video with MSN. As long it's PC. But with AIM, meaning using iChat. I don't have that problem. I do audio and video with my brother and he uses a PC and AIM software. I'd recommend a program that do what you need over interface.

Again, MSN has one nice interface. Maybe we should complain to apple so that they improve the interface of iChat.

5. haiggy macrumors 65816

Well,

I have tried to use AIM with my girlfriend since it's not compatable with MSN, but apparently the PC user has to have the latest version of AIM and you need to have iChat (I'm sure you all knew that). So we tried it, and it didn't work. I checked the requirements and apparently both people need a webcam, and since I don't have one - we can't video chat at all - period. It totally sucks because I am pretty sure you can video conference from Mac to Mac in iChat. Blows.

6. iBert macrumors regular

iBert

Even if one person only has a camera, both using iChat it should work. My friend has done that. On the buddy list, right-click or ctrl+click (depending what OS your using) their should be an option one-way video-chat. Another thing, are you using USB camera or firewire camera. That can be a problem. I think (not a 100% sure) the iChat requires a firewire camera. Should you or your girlfriend have a firewire camera. Plug it into the Mac, it should work. I think you're right, the person on a PC will need the lastes version of aim.

If you need to do some tests. i know i'm not your girlfriend. but I could help you on setting this up.

7. atomiton macrumors regular

Google for USB iChat webcam. You'll find you can use USB, with a hack.

silly restriction.

MSN on Mac doesn't work for video. I suppose, apple doesn't release things like iPHoto for PC, and MS doesn't release things like webcam support for MAc.

would be a nice area for a standard... unlikely... but it would be nice.

8. talkshowhost macrumors newbie

Hmm...I've been looking for answer to this q for a while.
    Thanks.... knowing is better than not knowing. :p

9. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Here's the answer:
    There is no way right now.

Lee Tom

10. talkshowhost macrumors newbie

Thanks very much for the answer. :)

11. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

reading this, how horrible is AIM on Windows? I've found MSN to be full of useless crap on Windows... it has ADS, enough said

12. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

It's not all that great, but if go in the options, you can make it less annoying by turning off some stuff.

Lee Tom