Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pinks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2003
EH3
Dear MR community

I recently downloaded MSN Messenger v3.5 from Mactopia. The disk seems to mount fine, but when I click the new Messenger logo a warning window appears - the text in that window reads "The system in unavailable now so you have been signed out of MSN Messenger. All instant messenger windows will be closed."

What does this mean and how can I fix it? I wouldn't usually be too bothered about this program, but my girlfriend uses it to chat with her folks. I'd be really grateful for any advice you may have... I know you'll come through for me :)

Many thanks.

- pinks

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Try trashing your MSN prefs

~/Library/Preferences/MSN Messenger Preferences

and maybe this as well:

~/Library/Preferences/MSN Messenger.plist

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
also, if you have a firewall running, make sure it's set to allow MSN connections (or that MSN Messenger is set to go around the firewall)... Yahoo messenger consistently has problems with that on my machine...

pnw

pinks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2003
EH3
prefs

Originally posted by edesignuk
Try trashing your MSN prefs

~/Library/Preferences/MSN Messenger Preferences

and maybe this as well:

~/Library/Preferences/MSN Messenger.plist

I thought this sounded like a sure-fire winner, but sadly the same message is appearing :mad:

Thanks edesignuk. Nice Mini btw. V. v. cool

Originally posted by paulwhannel
also, if you have a firewall running, make sure it's set to allow MSN connections (or that MSN Messenger is set to go around the firewall)... Yahoo messenger consistently has problems with that on my machine...

... no firewall either. Looks more like a software problem, but I may be wrong! Thanks all the same.

regards,

- pinks

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Re: prefs

Originally posted by pinks
I thought this sounded like a sure-fire winner, but sadly the same message is appearing :mad:

Thanks edesignuk. Nice Mini btw. V. v. cool

regards,

- pinks
I've just found another MSN Pref file, try trashing this one as well:

~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/MSN Messenger Preferences

Thanku. I love that car!

pinks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2003
EH3
Re: Re: prefs

Originally posted by edesignuk
I've just found another MSN Pref file, try trashing this one as well:

~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/MSN Messenger Preferences

trashed it... no result. Wish i'd just kept the older version. This kind of thing makes you feel like a total amateur which, of course, I am - but its never fun feeling like it ;)

- pinks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.