Msn Messenger 4 help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DFA1979, Aug 10, 2005.

1. DFA1979 macrumors newbie

i use msn messenger and it has been bothering me, when im on a message appears and says " your network connection to the interent has been lost, so yo have been signed out from msn messenger" does anyone know how to fix this problem, it happens to me like all the time, pls help

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, while you should be able to get 4.0 to work, go and get 5.0 if there's no specific reason why you can't use it. (It was released over the last week, and is available from MS at http://www.mactopia.com).

Second, when this happens, do you lose internet connections in any other application? Examples would be: failing to load Safari pages, or getting a drop out in AIM or iChat....

What kind of computer do you have, and what kind(s) of network(s) is it running?

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

DFA1979 have you ever tried to run Adium? I know it's not what you were asking but thought I'd suggest it. I struggled with msn for a long time before deciding to give it a go and I'm really happy with it. It's also a multi- client so you can connect with people on MSN, ICQ, AIM etc.

It's worth a look anyway and free download.

4. DFA1979 thread starter macrumors newbie

im not sure if it affects any other programs
    i have imac.....like 3 weeks old, i also have a wireless connection that networked to a pc

5. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

I think probally one of the main reason is MSN Messenger 4 doesn't really work anymore after they upgraded it to Microsoft Messenger Version 5...I'll say, go get the latest version from mactopia.com and install it, if there's still this problem, get Adium, i'm runing Adium (http://adiumx.com/) and i'm never disconnected...it just works...if you don't like Adium, get Proteus...i assume it's a home network so i don't think you're block from accessing MSN Messenger...

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you understand why I'm asking these questions, or do they sound like rubbish to you? :( It makes a difference whether you have a networking problem (even if it's a config issue on the mac), and are really losing connections, or if you're not losing connections, but MSN thinks you are.

7. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I have the same problem. Had it for a long time. Happens randomly, sometimes it will happen very quickly after sign in, other times I have stayed signed in for over 10hours.

A mediocre solution I have found is setting yoru status to "busy" or "away.''

Microsft Messenger 5 has so far done this once to me. No other MSN Clients have this problem.

I am on a rev b iMac G5, 10.4.2 same problem on G4 and G3 iBooks.

Wired/Wireless ADSL network connection. (PC MSN 7, does not have these problems.

8. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Ooh...this is wierd...i've no solution for this one except try other Apps...the Microsoft Messenger isn't really any great...

9. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I can second that it isn't great. After two days use (Microsft Messenger 5), each time I try to sign in now :

"Microsft Messenger has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience...."

Just great.