MSN Messenger 4 to have no new features...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by AppleMatt, Mar 23, 2004.

1. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Following on from this thread...
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=55871&highlight=msn+messenger+mac

It seems as if MSN Messenger 4 will only have the following new features;
    - Integration with Entourage.
    - New graphical user interface.
    - And the default MSN Messenger 6 emoticons

The source's reliability is unknown, as the screenshots could easily be faked , but www.mess.be claims...

...and...

Cheers Microsoft. I thought the MacBU were "avid Mac users and fans" :mad:

AppleMatt

2. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

This is unbelievably sheisse :p I have to use MSN to keep in contact with all my friends (e-mail is soo passé). I wanted the webcam, voice and the picture avatars at least! Oh well... Microsoft have a plan I suppse. Unfair riverally why can't companies just get along!!

3. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Doesn't really surprise me at all, i hope that there are alot of new things in Office altogether. If it takes a year for Apple to put 100 new features in OS X then I expect some new things from M$ after about 3 years on a set of programs :mad:

4. Versello macrumors regular

I don't see any difference in those supposedly v4.0 screenies than the current Mac MSN version... but I'll gladly welcome a new GUI. That gawd-awful circular button in the message window is a pain to look at.

5. riggers macrumors newbie

Have you tried Fire ?

6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

No Innovation anymore

This was the reason I left the Windows platform. There was no innovation from Microsoft even for Windows. They change the colors and logos and say "We are announcing Microsoft Money 2004 complete with improved preference settings and joystick support."

You would think they would at least be able to copy the features from the Windows version of Messenger.

7. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

I have issues with Fire. It will not show my contacts as being online. One of my contacts who works next to me IM'ed me because it said he was offline. I tried to reply, but it said they were offline, even though he could repeatedly send me messages.

8. Versello macrumors regular

Yeah I tried fire - It crashed on me back in the Jaguar days; since then I've stopped.

I also used to use Proteus until recently something was changed in the MSN protocol, effectively crippling Proteus (although I hear there is a patch for that). I'm waiting for the next release of Proteus before I go back.

9. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

That's because MS keeps tripping their protocol to try and kick it off.

Download the new version ("m") and it will fix that until the next protocol change comes along.

Microsoft's behaviour wrt to this is annoying, but I find the developer is fast enough with updates that it's not been a serious impediment to me.

[Edit] And responding to the next comment -- I've been using Fire on Panther since Panther came out, and have not had a single crash (using MSN & ICQ protocols only), so whatever stability problems were there seem to have been resolved.

10. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

edit - yeah, that's what happens when i take my sweet time replying... i use fire on jaguar and its working just fine.

i had the exact same problem, using version J, but i found a line you could type into the terminal that completely fixed the problem somewhere on their forums. They just released version M though, and they say it fixes msn connection issues, so i'd assume that's all you need.

http://fire.sourceforge.net/

there are still a couple issues i've got with fire, like how you can't really see msn display names, well really that's my only issue i guess. But the 1.0 version should be coming out, and it seems they're going to address a bunch of requests people have sent them.

11. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

do you know if what fire does is legal? isn't it based on a freely available library or something that lets them connect?

12. haiggy macrumors 65816

I hate Fire. It doesn't work well for me and is very ugly.

13. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

From what I heard 4 weeks ago, it will have ever feature in MSN6 and a few mac only features...

14. Maritan macrumors regular

When the hell is it going to be available for download?

15. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

16. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

AFAIK it's legal, because there's nothing legally restricting them from implementing the msn protocol. That's probably why MS is trying a technological solution to breaking it.

17. djbombjack macrumors member

My only issue iwth Fire is that I can't use the shortcut (that you use with MSN Messenger) to access hotmail i.e. it automatically opens up your Hotmail account in Safari.

If it did this i'd use Fire more.

18. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

it does have a popup to tell you when you have mail and the option to ignore for the moment or go to the page.

19. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

I use dMSN Messenger now, get it at: http://www.dmsn.nl

you allso will find that some persons (including me) had helped improving the mac version to what its now!

the latest public release is: 1702

BUT...

you can get the new 1703.12 Beta if you want, just check out the site and you'll find it trough the Forum :-D

20. AppleMatt thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I use aMSN and Microsofts version at the moment, but when 6.2 for Windows comes out, Microsoft are completely shutting down the network so that only authorised (i.e. Microsoft) clients can join it.

Goto the site I linked in the original post and you'll see screenshots of Microsofts upcoming site, detailing this.

AppleMatt

21. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I don't understand why microsoft even cares if other messenger apps use their protocol. its not like they make money off their own version anyway. well, I guess they make some of the ads it runs. so I guess they are basically trying to force us to see those ads. pretty sleazy but hey its ms so its no big shock.

22. djbombjack macrumors member

Yes, but it only tells you that you have mail. With MSN Messenger, when you click on mail, it opens up your account for you in a new Safari window. Fire doesn't do this. A small thing I know, but a useful feature which is the only reason I don't use Fire.

Call me lazy... ;)

23. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

email the fire team and tell them you would like to see that feature. can't hurt to try.

24. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

You answered your own question :)

Download the latest Windows Messenger (on Windows) and look at all the advertising popups, advertising in the window, and automatic redirects to the MSN site you get when using it.

Of course that's precisely why I don't use it, it's too d**n annoying.

25. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

i dunno man, when i get a mail, it tells me about it and has a "read" button which when i click, brings me to my hotmail, opening the link in a new tab like pretty much any other app, which i prefer and which msn can't seem to do.