MSN messenger 5.0

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bazzler, Jan 24, 2005.

1. bazzler macrumors newbie

Does anyone know what the full feature set of messenger 5.0 will be? ive seen a pic of it , and the only new practical feature is that now you can set your own pic and see pc messenger users pics. No games, no custom smileys, no webcam. Lame.

2. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I believe there is also better VNC support now inversion 5.0. For businesses this is a big thing.

M$ always seems to loose out the audio and webcam features on Mac, this is how they can make Windows "look more capable" in this regard. :rolleyes:

Anyhow though it would be nice, another client might pick up the feature. And I believe iChat will have Jabber support that is a +. :)

3. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

What is Jabber?

4. maya macrumors 68040

maya

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So MS is going to release an MSN 5 for Mac even though they're at 6.something for PCs? That seems strange from their usual way of doing things.... :(

6. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Hmmm yet another IM client. So what does it do that MSN/AIM/Yahoo/etc. can't?

I would love to see msn support in iChat but i somehow I feel it won't happen soon. MSN is a great IM program, IF you're using windows. I just use AdiumX which is only marginally better than MSN for mac. Both are a bit lacking in features. But, hey, its better than nothing right? :rolleyes:

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Adium

Yeah, I use Adium now too (after trying a few other ones like Proteus and Fire). Adium supports MSN pictures and of course it also connects me to AIM, Yahoo and ICQ. It's everything I need except of course webcam chatting.