MSN Messenger and OS X communication problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Spanky Deluxe, May 23, 2006.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Ok, this is really irritating me. I've experienced it on every mac I've used at two seperate locations. Basically sometimes my messages in MSN just don't get through. I only find this out about 5-10 minutes later when I finally get a bounceback. It also randomly signs out. PCs at both locations *never* do this, its only the Macs. Its sooooo irritating.

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

what sort of setup are you within? behind my uni's firewall, Macs have a helluva time trying to connect to MSN, but if you get round the firewall/VPN, it works fine :rolleyes:

if you could describle what's in between you and the vast interweb, it would help...

3. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Same thing constently happens to me and it pisses my off to no end!
    EDIT: I am behind a router and thats it.

4. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Sorry I forgot to go into more detail. Both locations are connected through routers to the internet. At home in Brighton its a straight router/modem thing, at Uni its a seperate modem and router. Both are wireless although sometimes I connect with straight wires, sometimes wireless (it depends if I remembered to bring enough ethernet cables with me when I move between the places). I get the same problems here and there, wired or wireless. It drives me absolutely crazy!!

5. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Just a quick note to say that I gave up trying to get Microsoft Messenger to work and instead downloaded aMSN and it not only works like a charm, it also supports my iSight so I can now do video calls with my friends again!

I also tried Adium and Mercury. Adium didn't support video calls and Mercury was plain ugly. It had a horrible configuration gui, lots of the graphics looked pixelised and the video from my iSight came out blue.
    aMSN mixed with Growl for the on screen pop ups is a very nice clean and elegant solution with so far no communication problems.

Problem solved.

Phil