MSN Messenger and Panther

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Huked on Fonick, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

Msn messenger crashes ALOT with panther on my ibook 800mhz and one a powermac 1ghz quicksilver........anyone elce have this problem by crashing alot i meen 2-3 times an hour..it never did it in jag?? just wondering if anyone elce had this problem or knew why......

Apple improve ur software quality control....

2. madru macrumors member

If you don't have the latest version 3.5.1, try upgrading, maybe that'll help.

3. Huked on Fonick thread starter macrumors 6502

i have 3.5.1
    thanks thow.....

must just be a problem with my computer and panther and messenger anyone elce having this problem?

4. poisonmonkey macrumors newbie

If you mean it logs out all the time yeah, I have that problem.

You have to ensure that the network connection is stable... I'm using Airport Extreme with a Linksys router and the internet connection comes and goes...
    That is what gives me problems...

and IMO it would be up to M$ to update their MSN software to be compatible with the new OS.

But try verifying your disks under disk utility might help.

5. Huked on Fonick thread starter macrumors 6502

no it doesent log me out it says this progeam has unexpedicly quit your system has not been affect would you like to report this to apple........

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm running Messenger 3.5.1 on OS 10.3.1 and it doesn't quit. Try reinstalling Messenger, and deleting its plist and see what happens.

7. Pinachina macrumors newbie

Pinachina

I'd like to see Microsoft make a new version for Mac comparable to the new version on PC. With it's large avitars and all, I think it'd look great on Mac!

As for the freezing problem, I haven't had any errors with mine....

8. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

I'm running MSN 3.5.1 on 10.3.1 on a 17" iMac 800 with no issues.

Did you turn on journaling during Panther setup? If not, boot into single user mode (Command S at the startup tone) and run fsck. If you have a journaled filesystem, fsck isn't of much use.

9. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Not sure I understand...

If your network connection between your Mac and the Linksys router is unstable, how is that an incompatibility with MSN and the OS?

Does your wireless link drop a lot or is it the WAN side of the Linksys having issues. There may be an update to your Linksys firmware.

10. poisonmonkey macrumors newbie

tomf87,

firmware is uptodate...

its not an incompatiblity, i was just finding out if Huked had a problem like me, because it would NOT be an OS problem, just a connection one.

and it doesn't drop a lot per se, it just dies once in a while... but i've come to accept that. It is the Liksys WRT54 and it is a pre-G ratification model. I got it relatively cheap so you get what you pay for...